Re: Sumptuary Laws

  • Sheila McClune
    Message 1 of 55 , Apr 1, 2003
      > From: "Kass McGann" <historian@...>
      > Subject: RE: Sumptuary Laws
      >
      > I have to tell you all that this kinda stuff really breaks my
      > biscuit. I mean, I wouldn't dream of walking around with a crown on
      > my head or wearing a laurel wreath or anything. But if someone
      > honestly gives me a hard time about a bunch of chain (like someone
      > talked about the white strap of their bag looking like a baldric),
      > I'm afraid I'm going to have to go balistic.
      <<<

      My lord husband once received, from the hand of a queen (it was a
      thank-you for working at an event), a string of small (3mm) gold beads,
      which he wore proudly for the rest of that queen's reign. A knight had
      the audacity to come up and tell him that he shouldn't be wearing it
      because it was too much like a gold chain. Needless to say, he wore it
      anyway.

      I just think it's a darned shame that all the knights are so terribly
      nearsighted. Perhaps we should take up a collection to get them some
      spectacles?

      The Outlands, by the way, has no sumptuary laws ... but there are some
      customs that are pretty strongly adhered to. The most major ones
      involve the wearing of metal on one's head -- people below the grant of
      arms level are strongly discouraged from wearing metal of any kind,
      including metallic trim, on their heads. Even the wearing of circlets
      by those with grants of arms is a recently-adopted custom (you know,
      within the last ten years), and is therefore considered somewhat
      dubious. And peers' circlets are just right out ....

      I guess I don't mind reserving a limited number of items for those who
      have earned high ranks. What I do object to are those who feel it's
      their duty to harass newcomers who have, in their ignorance,
      inadvertently worn one of these items. There are polite ways to take
      the lady aside who has arrived wearing a huge diamond tiara and
      proclaiming herself to be "Princess Buttercup," and explain to her why
      this isn't a good idea. But a lot of the time, it just seems like
      sumptuary laws are just an excuse for small-minded people to be rude.

      Arwen
      Outlands
      (so does anyone know where one could order a nice peers' circlet???
      <grin>)
    • Satine De La Courcel
      Message 55 of 55 , Dec 28, 2005
        The Courtesans in Venice wore Pearls even though they were strictly for
        nobility and clergy.. the fine for doing such an act is compared to todays
        speeding tickets... you generally pay the fine but Keep speeding... the
        Courtesans paid their fines and wore pearls anyway.

        Satine
        Pearls enthisuast