RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Snood

  • Jan C. Lane
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 6:54 AM
      Just a quick comment on putting up your long hair...

      Before I cut it, my hair was down to my hips. It's naturally curly, so was
      interesting to work with, since I refuse to blow-dry. I found that the long
      "roller" hair pins held my hair much better regular "bobby" pins. I could
      use two long roller pins, put them under my chignon in a cross pattern, and
      my hair stayed put. Another tip...twist your hair just tightly enough to
      make the chignon. Don't twist it so tightly it becomes a rope. It's easier
      to get the pins into hair that's more loosely twisted, and they're less
      likely to pop out.

      I keep toying with the idea of growing my hair back out again, but my
      current cropped style is soooooo much easier to take care of. *sigh*

      Happy coifing,

      Jannifer
    • BunnyCat
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 11:14 PM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jan C. Lane" <jclane@t...>
        wrote:
        > Just a quick comment on putting up your long hair...
        >
        > Before I cut it, my hair was down to my hips. It's naturally
        curly, so was
        > interesting to work with, since I refuse to blow-dry. I found that
        the long
        > "roller" hair pins held my hair much better regular "bobby" pins.
        I could
        > use two long roller pins, put them under my chignon in a cross
        pattern, and
        > my hair stayed put. Another tip...twist your hair just tightly
        enough to
        > make the chignon. Don't twist it so tightly it becomes a rope.
        It's easier
        > to get the pins into hair that's more loosely twisted, and they're
        less
        > likely to pop out.
        >
        > I keep toying with the idea of growing my hair back out again, but
        my
        > current cropped style is soooooo much easier to take care of.
        *sigh*

        > Happy coifing,
        >
        > Jannifer

        Yikes...
        My hair isn't very fond of pins, elastics, rolls, spray, or anything
        else designed to keep it in place... ;)
        It is wavy - neither curly nor straight - and will reach my knees in
        another 6-8 inches. :D
        While it is certainly not thick, it's far from 'silky', and so nobody
        who's played around with my hair can understand why it's so difficult
        to keep in place. They try to pin it or braid it or do _something_
        with it, and usually end up doing it thrice over - with added cursing
        on the last go.
        For everyday use, I just wear it in a single, three-part braid. I've
        thought about doing two, and then wrapping them around my head, but I
        haven't decided how I should secure them if I do.

        What was the common custom for women who were betrothed, but not yet
        married? Covered hair or not?
        And if this changed, (*seems to recall lots of bareheaded viking-
        matrons*,) when and why did it change? Was it the rise of
        Christianity?

        What timeperiod would a 'braid around the head' fit into? Should I,
        as an engaged woman, wear a veil?

        Cheers,
        GrayMinerva
      • Jan C. Lane
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 6:01 AM
          GrayMinerva,

          I'd say the problem with putting your hair up is the sheer weight of that
          much length. If you do the wrapped braids thing, pin the rounds as you go.
          Try using chignon pins rather than regular bobby pins. Chignon pins are a
          more open U shape than bobby pins and will stay in better.

          Happy coifing,

          Jannifer
          who's only slightly envious of your hair...just a little...really