Edith gown

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
      At 08:20 AM 4/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      There's a quick webpage about it at
      http://www.snowplow.org/sarah/Edith.html.  It's actually a complete
      outfit: smock (linen), underdress (fustian), and gown (wool twill), with
      veil (linen - someday to be replaced with silk), hosen (white linen), and
      garters (same wool as the gown).

      Beautifully done!  I like the colors on you.

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • kris
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 2, 2003
        At 08:20 AM 01/04/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >There's a quick webpage about it at
        >http://www.snowplow.org/sarah/Edith.html. It's actually a complete
        >outfit: smock (linen), underdress (fustian), and gown (wool twill), with
        >veil (linen - someday to be replaced with silk), hosen (white linen), and
        >garters (same wool as the gown). Everything's handsewn, though with
        >commercial cotton and cotton/poly thread (soon... soon I will buy 3,000
        >yards of white linen from webs and never sew medieval clothes with
        >cotton/poly again). All of the body garments are of the side-gore
        >variety; one in each side of the smock (which is mid-calf length) and two
        >each in the underdress and gown. (Incidentally, I do wear the red fustian
        >dress solo quite a lot - it was one of my items in the Pennsic A&S display
        >last year.) The gores on the underdress start at the waist; the goes on
        >the gown start at the bottom of the gusset (I don't recommend this -
        >gussets and gore points don't mesh well - next time I do a tunic this way
        >I'm going to have at least SOME side seam). I decided to put the long
        >gores in this gown because, looking at the illustration I was working
        >from, there are clear folds (i.e., fullness) from the shoulders - and to
        >me, the best way to get that fullness was by starting to increase the
        >circumference of the garment as soon as possible.

        The gown looks amazing!

        For me, since I am a pear shape, I usually start the side gores 1-2 inches
        below the armpit gussets. That gives me enough room to get the points
        looking good. Doing this, I can also get an overgown out of 2.5 metres of
        60" wide fabric.. it's not terribly full, but there's still room at the hips.

        I should really take pictures of some of my earlier period clothes. They're
        so comfy and warm!

        kris

        http://members.shaw.ca/ionization/