leather Armor question???

  • Gomez Addams
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
      Being an archer, I have been kind of pushed into the combat archery
      and so I need armor (and being an archer and not a walking tank I
      need light armor)... In researching, I haven't found much
      information on actual historical use of all leather armor in Medieval
      times. I have found references and pictures of Metal AND leather
      armor (plates of metal riveted to leather) but have not found
      anything about what styles were worn by the common soldiers in the
      Medieval times... About all the pictures I have seen show the
      archers with either lightly padded armor, or no armor at all... I
      have looked at the various sites which have patterns for making
      leather armor and also have looked at the various commercial
      offerings and as far as I can find out these have little to no basis
      in fact, especially the commercial leather armor (way to much fantasy
      there)... Can anyone give me some references or information on what
      armor I need to be able to do combat archery and still be reasonably
      accurate and authentic as an archer....I would appreciate it...
    • Evan Brodersen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003

        > Message: 19
        > Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 06:23:52 -0000
        > From: "Gomez Addams" <GomezY3K@...>
        > Subject: leather Armor question???
        >
        > Being an archer, I have been kind of pushed into the combat archery
        > and so I need armor (and being an archer and not a walking tank I
        > need light armor)... In researching, I haven't found much
        > information on actual historical use of all leather armor in Medieval
        > times. I have found references and pictures of Metal AND leather
        > armor (plates of metal riveted to leather) but have not found
        > anything about what styles were worn by the common soldiers in the
        > Medieval times... About all the pictures I have seen show the
        > archers with either lightly padded armor, or no armor at all... I
        > have looked at the various sites which have patterns for making
        > leather armor and also have looked at the various commercial
        > offerings and as far as I can find out these have little to no basis
        > in fact, especially the commercial leather armor (way to much fantasy
        > there)... Can anyone give me some references or information on what
        > armor I need to be able to do combat archery and still be reasonably
        > accurate and authentic as an archer....I would appreciate it...

        Gomez,

        What you've found in your research is pretty much correct: archers
        wouldn't wear much armour. I don't know what time period you're shooting
        for, so I'll give some examples based on different centuries.

        13th C.
        You would wear a padded jack and, if you were lucky, a chapel de fer.
        Possibly an old-fashioned conical helm with nasal. If you do this, you'll
        have to hide stiff leather or pla**** "ouchie" plates in the back of the
        jack to provide adequate kidney protection. Elbows and knees would have
        to be hidden, as for most of this century, only the richest knights would
        have had solid metal polyens and couters. The helm would obviously have
        to be modified to meet SCA armour standards, but many armourers can
        arrange to have a mail drape cover most of the inauthentic parts of the
        helm.

        14th C.
        Again, padded jacks would be most likely. An old-fashioned coat of plates
        (St. Maurice style, rather than Wisby, perhaps) would not be unreasonable.
        A bascinet without a faceplate (get one with a bargrill and paint the
        bargrill black as most people don't "see" bargrills when they're properly
        painted) would be acceptable for a helm towards the latter half of the
        century, but by far the most common would be the "kettle hat." The kettle
        hat resembles nothing so much as a metal pith helmet. Arm and leg
        defenses would most likely have to be hidden.

        15th C.
        You can get away with a lot more here. Brigandines are common, as are
        maille over the arms and legs for archers. The mail should be pointed to
        the arming doublet. Please visit http://www.wolfeargent.com for some of
        the best info around on this time period. (If you e-mail chef de chambre,
        trust what he tells you, he KNOWS.)

        I would also recommend going to www.armourarchive.org for all your armour
        questions. There are plenty of extremely knowledgable people there who
        specialize their knowledge in armour. Also there are some of the
        country's top armourers, including Wade Allen, Jeffery Hedgecock, Tom
        Justus, Patrick Thaden, and every once in a while Robert MacPhearson.
        (Chef de Chambre is also on this board.) Hope this has been helpful.

        Evan Brodersen
        SKA: Sigismund von Strassburg
        Armour Archive: Siggy

        "What's that thing?"
        "Well, it's a highly technical, sensitive instrument we use in
        computer repair. Being a layman, you probably can't grasp exactly what
        it does. We call it a two-by-four."
        -- Jeff MacNelley, "Shoe"