dating a painting using period costumes

  • Kristoffer Gottlieb
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hi all,
      I wonder if you could help me to date this painting - picture in photo section called -?17-th?/. Personally I think it's Italian commedia dell'arte period ca. 1650-1710 but maybe you know better? I also wonder why two men are wearing red caps if they currently dress in hats? Is it characteristic for any period or region?

      Best regards,
      Kristoffer Gottlieb

      Här börjar internet!
      Skaffa gratis e-mail och gratis internet på http://www.spray.se

      Hitta rätt på internet med Lycos - http://lycos.spray.se/
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2003
        At 08:32 PM 3/31/2003 +0100, you wrote:
        Hi all,
        I wonder  if you could help me to date this painting - picture in photo section called -?17-th?/. Personally I think it's Italian commedia dell'arte period ca. 1650-1710 but maybe you know better? I also wonder why two men are wearing red caps if they currently dress in hats? Is it characteristic for any period or region?

        Best regards,
        Kristoffer Gottlieb

        Looking at it, I would say that it's out of SCA period and possibly somewhere in the time frame you speculate.  Any idea on country of origin or the like?

        Smiles and welcome,
        Despina
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2003
          On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Kristoffer Gottlieb wrote:

          > Hi all, I wonder if you could help me to date this painting - picture in
          > photo section called -?17-th?/.

          Well, first you should find the painter and ask permission. Then some
          flowers and chocolates might be good. After that, you can maybe begin
          with a restaurant to see if you have anything in common. ;)

          Sorry, couldn't resist.

          -Ii
        • kristoffergottlieb
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
            On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Ii wrote:

            Well, first you should find the painter and ask permission. Then some
            flowers and chocolates might be good. After that, you can maybe begin
            with a restaurant to see if you have anything in common. ;

            You speak to dead folk - your time must be cheap, so lets skip
            restaurant and flowers OK with chocolates - it keeps mouth shut and
            fingers busy.
            Sorry, couldn't Ii-sist
            have a nice day, Kristoffer