Re: Saffron

  • Adrienne - Oregon Trail Internet
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2003
      Phew! I was going to say, don't waste your money on grocery store saffron -
      you'll pay too much.

      I use SF Herb almost exclusively for all my herbs & spices, and I do
      recommend them. Their saffron is very good quality and very affordable.
      BTW, an ounce of saffron is A LOT. lol.

      Ragna
      New Lurker on List. ;-)

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2005
        Does anyone have a source for saffron crocus bulbs? I grew the crocuses
        years ago, but lost the bulbs when we moved.

        Luighseach
        in California, which might matter for sending plants

      • cschutrick
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2005
          > Does anyone have a source for saffron crocus bulbs?
          >I grew the crocuses years ago, but lost the bulbs when
          >we moved.

          I'm ordering mine from www.ediblelandscaping.com, which I
          found by Googling for '"crocus sativa" sale', I believe.
          Or perhaps it was 'price'. Anyway, I have no info yet on
          their quality, but they sell all sorts of plants with
          edible bits (including rose of Sharon, which boggles me.
          One, I didn't know you could eat it, and two, who the
          heck needs to *buy* rose of Sharon? Around here it's a
          weed).

          --Jeannette
        • Cornelia
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2005
            This site has a few suppliers, too:
            http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/2001fa_crocus.html

            Hope it helps,

            Cornelia

            > Does anyone have a source for saffron crocus bulbs? I grew the crocuses
            > years ago, but lost the bulbs when we moved.

          • Heather Murray
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2005
              cschutrick wrote:

              > > Does anyone have a source for saffron crocus bulbs?
              > >I grew the crocuses years ago, but lost the bulbs when
              > >we moved.
              >
              > I'm ordering mine from www.ediblelandscaping.com, which I
              > found by Googling for '"crocus sativa" sale', I believe.
              > Or perhaps it was 'price'. Anyway, I have no info yet on
              > their quality, but they sell all sorts of plants with
              > edible bits (including rose of Sharon, which boggles me.
              > One, I didn't know you could eat it, and two, who the
              > heck needs to *buy* rose of Sharon? Around here it's a
              > weed).
              >
              > --Jeannette

              Saffron crocus - also carried by McClure & Zimmerman,
              http://www.mzbulb.com I just got the catalog a few days ago - 12 for
              US$6.95, 24 for $11.95, 48 for $21.95 and 96 for $39.95. Hey - they have
              something interesting that I just noticed - "White Saffron Crocus!" C.
              sativus var. cartwrightianus albus, with 6 for US$7.95, 12, $14.95, 24,
              $28.95, and 48 for $54.95. That could be nifty. I recommend, where ever
              you order, to order as soon as possible. They'll ship to you in August
              or September for prompt(!) planting - they're a fall-blooming species.

              Jeannette, Rose of Sharon isn't a weed here, though, it's an annual.
              (northerly bits of the Southeast). It's hybiscus, and makes a tea.
              Hybiscus drink is actually a popular carribbean/Central American drink.
              Powdered forms, like Kool-Aid, are sold here in Mexican sections of
              grocery stores. It's not bad, actually. I got a packet and it make a
              good drink. I still prefer horchata, but it's something I'll buy again.

              Margaret Northwode

            • Mary Taran
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2005
                I googled and found
                this: http://www.eastendcommunity.com/plants/fall_crocus.htm -- sold out
                for this season, but maybe they can tell you when you can get them for next
                season.

                However,
                http://www.bloomingbulb.com/XQ/ASP/ProductKey.492/bulbs.Saffron%20Crocus/flower.Sativus/QX/cartProductDetail.htm
                is having a sale--act quickly, sale is only through June 20.

                Here in Southern California, we're in zone 10, however, and these plants
                are rated for zone 5,6,7,8. They might need a little brisker winter than
                we can offer them.

                Mary Taran

                At 06:47 AM 4/29/2005, you wrote:

                >Does anyone have a source for saffron crocus bulbs? I grew the crocuses
                >years ago, but lost the bulbs when we moved.
                >
                >Luighseach
                >in California, which might matter for sending plants

                >--
              • byvordhr
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1 8:29 AM
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Mary Taran <marytaran@a...> wrote:

                  > Here in Southern California, we're in zone 10, however, and these
                  plants
                  > are rated for zone 5,6,7,8. They might need a little brisker winter
                  than
                  > we can offer them.

                  Chances are you will not get a good bloom in your warmer clime.
                  I've grown saffron crocus for a number of years (It makes
                  terrific little Christmastime hostess gifts!) and have noticed
                  that for the best bloom it requires a fairly dry October with a
                  sharp cold snap (i.e., frost) just before the bloom. In the very
                  best of seasons, the weather remains dry until the flowers open
                  and you can clip the threads.

                  Dry them carefully, laid out on brown paper (not paper towels,
                  where they will stick) and not touching each other. From a couple
                  dozen bulbs you can get enough, in a good season, to give as some
                  gifts (it doesn't take much to awe the recipient) and to cook with
                  yourself. And it will give you an acute understanding of why it
                  is such an expensive commodity in the world market.

                  AEbsynth
                • Joannah Hansen
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1 11:40 PM
                    We have a similar problem here in most of Queensland ( Australia ) with most of the bulb flowers. I seem to recall, from looking through some of my mum's gardening books, that there is a technique which involves refrigerating the bulbs for some period of time, to 'trick' them into thinking that they have just survived a cold winter. If you are interested, I can see if I can find that information for you.

                    Joannah.