OT: ? re: polishing pewter

  • Heidi/Clarissa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
      Given the wealth of knowledge among the members of this list, I am hopeful
      that someone will be able to help me. A few days ago, I fell and scratched
      a pewter ring on the sidewalk when I landed. It's a rather superficial
      "injury" to the ring and I think a bit of polishing will probably smooth
      things off, but I'm afraid to just have at it without knowing what's best
      to use. I already own copper, brass and silver polishes; would any of
      those be acceptable/do the job? Or is there a special polish for pewter,
      and, if so, where do I get it?

      Thanks in advance,
      Clarissa
    • Gerita
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2003
        I have a lot of pewter (relatively modern) lying about. I find that silver
        polish works for just plain settin-around-too-long. For scuffs and other
        unfortunate happenings like moving accidents, i get out my dremel with the
        little felt 'polisher' bit and gently go over the scuff. If it's not too
        bad, it'll heat up and return to shape if you work it carefully. Good luck!

        Gerita