Re: "theme" peeve

  • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3 9:07 AM
      I understand what you're on about, Katherine. It's as if a group
      decides to throw an event with a theme, but doesn't go all the
      way. They have some food that follows the theme, and they
      group the A&S classes into categories under the theme. But the
      event isn't truly themed in any way shape or form.

      Of course I don't think anyone should require people to make
      new outfits to attend an event. But to take for example a
      Japanese themed event -- if you have no interest or desire in
      Japanese culture, don't go to the event. Of course the events to
      which I refer in particular were small and intimate. They included
      no fighting and there wasn't even any room to teach a class
      (although I think some were taught). So it's not as if Coronation
      or 12th Night had a theme.

      I was around when one of the Queen's whims was "No T-tunics"
      and Jehanne made her lovely green tunic. Not exactly a theme,
      but...

      I kinda don't get themes. I mean, I am a 16th century
      Irishwoman or a 10th century Japanese woman or a 15th century
      Englishwoman and that's the size of it. I'm not going to let
      anything convince me to be Italian or Spanish or Chinese in any
      period. I just have no interest. But for someone who doesn't
      have a persona and likes to make different outfits all the time, I
      guess this could be motivation for a new one.

      I don't exactly know what I'm saying. Yes, I generally ignore
      themes in terms of what I wear. But I think if you have a theme, it
      should reach across more than just the food served at the feast.
      A 16th century Irishwoman can attend a "party" whose theme is
      the Roman Empire and not wear a toga, y'know? But it would be
      nice if we played Roman games, watched Roman athletics, as
      well as ate Roman food.

      So I guess I'm agreeing with you, Katherine. Themes should
      mean something more than just what's served at the feast. But I
      don't think anyone should feel they must make a new outfit for it if
      they aren't looking for a project. I don't think anyone was saying
      that, though.

      Kass
      rambling
    • Rosine
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3 12:43 PM
        > I was around when one of the Queen's whims was "No T-tunics"
        > and Jehanne made her lovely green tunic. Not exactly a theme,
        > but...

        You're kidding me, right?

        That would necessitate a 6 month hiatus from the Royal Progress... no way
        would I "age" my persona and give up my embroidered garb to wear clothing I
        don't want and don't like just because the Queen was into Renn or later.
        (Okay, so I count "renn" starting in the 12th century... you get my point).

        Grrrrr..... ignorance!

        Rosine