Re: Pictures of hose

  • Anneke Lyffland
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi!

      In addition to everybody else's excellent suggestions.

      This site, http://site.voila.fr/costumesXV (click on Chausses), has good pictures of hose. They are redraws, but very good ones -- you can recognize the original and they've been accurate. It's in French and I have no idea how good or bad the text is.

      Medieval Tailor's Assistant is good for 15th century men's clothes, please ignore everything she says about 15th C womens' clothes. (Ok, ok! _Almost_ everything. ;) ) One of the illustrations in this book is reproduction of the original of Ill. 17 from the above site (hose inside-out).

      Memling's St. John altarpiece has another man standing with his back towards viewers, but Memling didn't paint any seams on his hose: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/m/memling/2middle2/13john15.jpg

      Memling's Martyrdom St. Sebastian 1470 is also too dark to see the seams. Maybe there's a better repro out there somewhere? http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/m/memling/2middle1/07noseba.jpg

      Dieric Bouts The Execution of the Innocent Count c. 1460, the executioner has particolored hose: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/b/bouts/dirk_e/altar/3empero.jpg

      Hieronymous Bosh, The Cure of Folly 1475-80 shows a man in his under jacket and hose partially unlaced: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/b/bosch/painting/stone.jpg

      Maybe looking at Bruegel paintings would help? Peasants didn't tend wear the latest fashions.

      For example The Land of Cockayne 1567 by Pieter Bruegel, the Elder: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/b/bruegel/pieter_e/painting/cockayne.jpg
      and Peasant wedding c. 1568 by Pieter Bruegel, the Elder:
      http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/b/bruegel/pieter_e/painting/wedding.jpg
      have some details that might be helpful.

      I hope this helps some,

      Anneke

      -~*~-
      Life's a journey - not a destination. Amazing, Aerosmith
    • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
        Thanks to everyone for their excellent contributions to my "hosen"
        picture library. I'd already found alot of what you sent, but some I
        had either never seen before or had forgotten where I'd seen them.
        So thanks all!

        One question I was trying to answer was the source for sketches of
        hosen on The Compagnie of Saynte George's site and in their
        handbook. These sketches greatly resemble Figure 12 on the page
        Anneke forwarded (http://site.voila.fr/costumesXV (click on
        Chausses)). Does anyone know the source for the picture of the hip-
        hugger hose shown there? I have found other pictures of low-slung
        hosen, but none of hosen with that curious diagonal seam on the
        back. Anyone know the name of the original picture?

        Thanks again,
        Kass