Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: "theme" peeve

  • Rosine
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
      We've had mixed results. There's two repeating events that we do, both
      16th century. One is "Revels at the Inns of Court" and the autocrat has a
      history of inudating everyone with more and more information about what the
      Inns of Court were, how they came about, which "houses" one can join and so
      on - the web minister obliges with links that support all sorts of pattern
      sites, historical info, everything someone would need to know, and our A&S
      classes support the manufacture of what is needed for the individual
      attendee. And the only fighting so far has been a limited rapier display
      (actually a mini-play with the players ad-libbing as long as it led to an
      actual duel, with seconds). This gave a few folks a chance to be dramatic
      and for one set of duelists to introduce the "new" reproduction dueling
      pistols that shoot SCA-approved ah, bullets, I guess I'd better call them.
      Anyway, of the times that we've put it on, we've had only one group of folks
      show up OOP - but they didn't come the following year (we offered to arrange
      loaner garb, they decided to stay in their period/culture and not attend. We
      just made sure that subsequent events were close enough on the calendar to
      give them a chance to play soon).
      The other event is also a small-attendance event. "Barnacled Bullfrog" is
      a low-brow scuzzy wharf tavern... Folks of high social standing do not
      generally attend - but they do seem to have a lot of look-alike cousins or
      siblings "born on the other side of the blanket". We don't mention the
      link... It gives everyone an opportunity to be silly yet still be in a
      "period" context - the women who want to be tavern wenches can, those who
      do not can be folks on pilgrimage and be as "uncomfortable" or "relaxed" as
      their personas desire to play it. Rapier fighting takes place outside near
      the front of the tavern, next to the bay, while heavy fighting is on the
      other side of the buiilding and somewhat less noticable - giving the heavies
      a chance to play too, but not disturb the general "look" of the event. The
      front porch gives one only a view of the bay, the crocet field and the
      fencers.
      There's a wide field nearby which is sometiimes used for archery - the
      archery marshal plays a petty official whose job it is to ensure that "every
      man does his saturday practise of archery, as is according to the King's
      decree".
      No court at this one. Once, we needed to have a Royal court - the king
      and queen played along. She (having just given birth) took the opportunity
      to stay in a little retiring room and have visitors, or not, as she wanted,
      while he went without the crown or the high garb and played darts, watched
      the fighting, gambled... with many an elbow nudge and a "Your Maj-er, ah,
      here, fellow, would you like to join us at Gluckshaus?". When the time came
      for court, they and their retainers retired, changed clothes, and reappeared
      outside, to enter the tavern preceeded by an incredibly officious set of
      guards who cleared a space and looked down their noses at the tavern owner
      and - you get the picture. Much fun was had by all.
      We don't hold either event often, but so far, they are the ones with a
      guarenteed number of attendees.

      Any other attempt at "theme" falls flat and is usually just a vehicle for
      an A&S (which doesn't often work out) and the feast menu - which always
      works out.

      Rosine
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
        At 11:41 PM 2/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >And then
        >they send out all these notices, "Come to our event! The theme is
        >such-and-such, and we'll be having a such-and-such feast and a bardic
        >competition and an A&S competition and a such-and-such tourney!" and
        >then everyone just pretty much ignores it and does what they do for
        >every event.

        My problems with this are as follows:
        Not enough lead time from when the theme is announced to when the date of
        the event will be - I don't mind knowing the theme but don't give me less
        than three months to prepare an entire kit from scratch that I won't use
        again for your event! (not that I'd do it anyway, I might make a new
        outfit to fit the theme if I knew I would have occasion to wear it again)

        Unless the group putting on the event has a bunch of loaner stuff ready and
        waiting will they get everyone to dress with the theme - expecting
        otherwise shows short-sighted-ness and a lot of insular thinking on the
        part of the group doing the event.

        Not everyone can - as was discussed in an earlier post. It's money out of
        pocket to make a new kit to fit an era/place which one does not regularly
        adhere to - it's inconsiderate to think that everyone will do so just
        because it's "insert title here" event.

        Not everyone will - as discussed earlier, I believe. People who have
        persona choose it for a reason. To ask them not to portray that for which
        they play the game could be considered rude. To look down upon them for
        doing so is rude. Someone who is comfortable in the frills and layers of a
        Tudor gown won't necessicarily be comfortable in a 14th century garment -
        why force them to do so? The group hosting the event would be making their
        guests uncomfortable; a big no-no from where I come.

        Just a thought,
        Smiles,
        Despina de la still buried
      • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
          I understand what you're on about, Katherine. It's as if a group
          decides to throw an event with a theme, but doesn't go all the
          way. They have some food that follows the theme, and they
          group the A&S classes into categories under the theme. But the
          event isn't truly themed in any way shape or form.

          Of course I don't think anyone should require people to make
          new outfits to attend an event. But to take for example a
          Japanese themed event -- if you have no interest or desire in
          Japanese culture, don't go to the event. Of course the events to
          which I refer in particular were small and intimate. They included
          no fighting and there wasn't even any room to teach a class
          (although I think some were taught). So it's not as if Coronation
          or 12th Night had a theme.

          I was around when one of the Queen's whims was "No T-tunics"
          and Jehanne made her lovely green tunic. Not exactly a theme,
          but...

          I kinda don't get themes. I mean, I am a 16th century
          Irishwoman or a 10th century Japanese woman or a 15th century
          Englishwoman and that's the size of it. I'm not going to let
          anything convince me to be Italian or Spanish or Chinese in any
          period. I just have no interest. But for someone who doesn't
          have a persona and likes to make different outfits all the time, I
          guess this could be motivation for a new one.

          I don't exactly know what I'm saying. Yes, I generally ignore
          themes in terms of what I wear. But I think if you have a theme, it
          should reach across more than just the food served at the feast.
          A 16th century Irishwoman can attend a "party" whose theme is
          the Roman Empire and not wear a toga, y'know? But it would be
          nice if we played Roman games, watched Roman athletics, as
          well as ate Roman food.

          So I guess I'm agreeing with you, Katherine. Themes should
          mean something more than just what's served at the feast. But I
          don't think anyone should feel they must make a new outfit for it if
          they aren't looking for a project. I don't think anyone was saying
          that, though.

          Kass
          rambling
        • Rosine
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
            > I was around when one of the Queen's whims was "No T-tunics"
            > and Jehanne made her lovely green tunic. Not exactly a theme,
            > but...

            You're kidding me, right?

            That would necessitate a 6 month hiatus from the Royal Progress... no way
            would I "age" my persona and give up my embroidered garb to wear clothing I
            don't want and don't like just because the Queen was into Renn or later.
            (Okay, so I count "renn" starting in the 12th century... you get my point).

            Grrrrr..... ignorance!

            Rosine