Re: [Authentic_SCA] intro, where to start?

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
      In a message dated 3/1/2003 6:05:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I'm new to the group, and I have been enjoying the discussions, especially the ones about 14th c. and how to handle ppl who don't want you to be authentic. (my whole shire:))  anyway,

      Join the club.  We are lucky enough to have one other family in the shire where the wife is really committed to authenticity and the husband is getting into it, and at least a few people who are open to suggestions to improve, although they are not going to do the research on their own...  We only have one person actively against it.

      My family and I are fairly new to the SCA, and I would like to know how you would

      start setting yourself up. I mean, so far I know I want to be 14c French, my name and device are registered, and that's about it. I have some "starter" garb which isn't very accurate, and I hate it.

      any advice would be helpful, and as I have three very small children and a DH who couldn't care less about accuracy that I have to garb, feed etc. I think for now, I"ll be the only authentic-ish one, then move on from there.

      Well, really, the first thing to do, if you haven't already, is get started going to local events.  Starting out in "starter" stuff that isn't authentic is absolutely fine at first - heck, I spent my first about 5 years in RenFaire wench garb, and when I started working on authenticity I was just mixing bits together from all different times!

      As far as for your kids and husband, you'll use less fabric if you use authentic tunic cuts.   If you make them in linen or wool they'll still be relatively authentic and they  won't know the difference, and they'll be more comfortable, too.  Even see if you can talk them into cotton undertunics underneath; that will save on how many outer garments you need to make (well, depending on how messy the kids are), and you can make a bunch cheaply.

      Brangwayna Morgan
    • Sybille La Serena
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003

[...]

        the undertunics Idea is great, at least for the baby and hubie.  (2&4yr olds are so messy it wouldn't realy matter)  We do go to events when we can, (kids make it hard, naps etc.) my main problem is finding information, as I can't Hang out at the library, and they don't let you take any thing interesting home here.  I'm cinda leary sbout internet stuff, but I think that is where I'll have to do most of my research.  Im also not that great a seamstress. ah well, period garb is mostlystreight lines (and gores ugh).

        sybille
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
          And if your husband is like many, if/when he gets compliments on his
          garments or other things that you do authentically for him, it will
          heighten his interest in those things. You can draw him to the authentic
          side slowly and he'll never even realize it.

          SMiles,
          Despina de la welcome
        • Sybille La Serena
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003

            And if your husband is like many, if/when he gets compliments on his
            garments or other things that you do authentically for him, it will
            heighten his interest in those things.  You can draw him to the authentic
            side slowly and he'll never even realize it.

            SMiles,
            Despina de la welcome

            yup,
            I made him one Cote from period patterns (don't know how accurate they are) but he looked great, and loved it, I think I'm going to be making many of them for him.
            sybille