Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: A tremendous loss to Atlantia and the SCA

  • Rosine
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2003
      Three forwarded messages follow:

      *****************
      >Friends,
      >
      >There will be two viewings for James Howell on Sunday, March 2nd 2003.
      >
      >2:00 pm-4:00 pm First Viewing
      >6:00 pm-8:00 pm Second Viewing
      >
      >There will also be a Memorial Service for James on Monday, March 3rd
      starting at 7:00 pm.

      >All services will be held at:
      >The Joseph W. Bliley Funeral Home
      >6900 Hull Street Road
      >Richmond, Virginia 23224
      >
      >Bryce and I will be having a wake in memoriam of James
      >at our house tomorrow night. Bryce has sent the info.
      >To help defray the costs for James' widow Karin (I do
      >not believe James had any insurance), we will be
      >passing the hat. If you wish to send any
      >contributions, please make your checks out to :
      >
      >Karin Howell
      >
      >you can send them to me, and I will make sure she gets
      >them. My address is :
      >
      >10524 Jason Road
      >Richmond, Virginia 23235
      >
      >Dame Anne is also having a fundraiser for Karin Howell
      >at the Kingdom Arts and Sciences event this weekend.
      >
      >Thank you.
      >Travis Brandel
      >Balynar
      **************
      Hail the Manx,

      Funeral arrangements for Finnr/James follow.

      We couldn't arrange for a longship, but Finnr will be cremated in accordance
      with his wishes.

      Finnr always loved bonfires. We have been talking today about the
      possibility of a memorial bonfire later in the spring. Then, we can do it up
      right.

      - Thomas
      *****************
      Greetings to all,

      For those of you who don't know already, Master Finnr has a personal
      webpage that I've been maintaining for him for over a year now, and it
      has a very nice guestbook that you can contribute to. Several thoughtful
      folks have already posted kind memorial messages there and I would like
      to encourage everyone to do the same. If you wish to leave a note of
      condolence to his wife Karen and his brother David, or you just wish to
      post a fond remembrance of Finnr, please go to
      http://www.geocities.com/yarnvidi/ and click on the "Sign Guestbook"
      link at the top right of the page. You can also just go there and view
      the guestbook if you like. I will be keeping an eye on the website and
      guestbook and plan on archiving all the messages. If you have any
      questions regarding the website or guest book please feel free to email
      me.

      Many, many people loved Finnr and I think it will mean a lot to his
      family and friends to have a central place to gather their thoughts and
      remembrances. Personally, reading all the kinds words on the various
      emails lists has done my heart good. I'm sure it will help Karen and
      David a great deal too to read so many kind words from Finnr's friends
      and loved ones.

      Take care and I wish you all health and happiness.

      Yours in service,

      Lady Gudrun Ottosdottir
      (Monica L. Wilson)

      P.S. I'm sure I missed many other email lists, so please feel free to
      forward this message to anyone who would wish to read it.
    • r.carnegie@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3 12:33 PM

        > It is with profound sorrow, and tremendous grief, that
        > I report the passing
        > of Master Finnr, this evening, of a heart attack.

        Master Finnr (who I knew as James) was a kind and gentle man,
        a great teacher, a wonderful mentor, and a loss to the SCA and
        the reenactment world as a whole.  I'm stunned by this news.

        Thomas, please forward details of where to send sympathy
        cards, flowers, or where to make donations whenever you can.

        May the Halls of Vallhalla rejoice!  You are getting one of our
        best!

        In greatest, deepest sympathy,
        Kass