Re: 14th Cent. Women's Coats ?'s

  • demontsegur <demontsegur@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Marshak"
      <emarshak@e...> wrote:

      Greetings Elizabeth,

      Very fair question (about the loose woman's coat with buttons on the
      sleeves and down the front). I've only ever seen that style on Plate
      71v of the Manesse Codex, recently discussed here, in fact. It's a
      scene of a woman pulling her lover (Kristan von Hamle) up to her
      bedroom via winch and oversized bucket. I think it's worth noting
      that the fitted version of that style is almost non-existent in later
      14th century art, at least all the art I've been pouring over lately.
      There are some ambiguous examples of gowns closely resembling that
      look, but it was not by any stretch "the" fashion in the later half
      of the century. The SCA has certainly popularize the look, though.
      When we look at so many of the ladies who do this period at events,
      we might think that the dress was actually common in period. Not
      really so. I think it probably existed, but as a less-popular style.
      I've just written a paper on this very topic, so if you're burning to
      know more, please write me off-list and we can talk. :^)

      I also wouldn't trust Norris at all, if I were you. He regurgitates
      some pretty erroneous clothing interpretations from the Victorian era
      and is terrible at citing his sources. If you want a more trustworthy
      idea of what people probably wore in the early 14th century, try
      perusing pictorial sources such as Margaret Scott's _A Visual History
      of Costume: The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries_ which is pretty
      much only available these days via ILL, and art books that cover the
      period. The Manesse Codex is online, AFAIK, and is a great source. If
      I'm telling you things you already know, please pardon me! I
      sometimes wax 'helpful' to an extreme. :^)

      All best,
      Marcele