but it is medieval

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      I have this problem with food as well. do I show them that they ALREADY
      EAT period recipes, or will they then assume that everything yummy is
      period.
      When I was the head cook (heck, ONLY COOK) for autocrat's camp at pennsic
      I tried a different route. The people in charge of approving the menu
      were... way not fond of period food. So I put together a menu and gave it
      to them. I think I had to change 1 dish. It was all period. It's
      amazing when you "rename" the dish how many people will eat it. All I did
      was describe the dishes as they are presented, rather than with the actual
      name. So "Meat, roman style" became kebab. "appetizers on coals" became
      "hamburgers". More entertainingly:
      - "Mushroom pasties, spinache quiche, ham in white wine sauce"
      Let's see... that was really Champignions en paste, green pie, and "on
      Pork"
      - "Steaks with homemade mustard, and baked carrots. Dessert: drunken
      pears"
      That was really from some side comments by le managier, his mustard
      recipe, a carrot dish from (I think) platina, and pears in wine syrup.

      So how you present the menu is as important as how you present the food.
      If you present the menu in a more "modernly appetizing" (read: comforting
      to xenophobic wooses) way, you can present all of the actual information
      in the feastbooklet. IT might work. Or you can be like me and just not
      care if you are self-selecting the feast crowd by publishing period food
      as is.

      This has gotten long enough. Bedtime.

      Bogdan ot Brasov

      To the timid and hesitating, everything is impossible because it seems
      so. -Sir Walter Scott

      If you cannot explain it in a sentence, then you don't truly understand
      it.
      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
      PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
      University of Illinois