Re: [Authentic_SCA] Competitions

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 240 , Feb 25, 2003
      In a message dated 2/25/2003 5:02:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Why do you have a "no competitions" rule?

      I'm not the original poster, but I have the same rule.  There are several reasons:

      1. I simply don't care if some judge thinks my embroidered sleeves are better than someone else's embroidered chemise.  I especially don't care if they think my sleeves are better than someone else's cooking.  I care that it's as authentically done as I can make it, and that it looks good.

      2. Participating in a competition (or for that matter, an exhibition) makes it totally impossible for me to have any chance of staying in persona (not that I'm very good at it anyway).

      3. I've had disappointing experiences the few times I've been involved.  Not the sort of horror stories one hears, but simply no feedback at all.  I tried exhibitions for a while, but instead of having people give me advice on what to do to get better, the only thing I got was "Nice work!" or "What materials did you use?" (the answer to the second question being clearly visible in my documentation).  I get just as many of those comments if I just wear the thing at an event, and frequently get more feedback and info from someone who sees me working on a project at an event.

      4. I hate the mindset of "there's no reason to do it authentically if it's not for competition", and choose not to support competitions and help perpetuate it.

      Brangwayna Morgan
    • bronwynmgn@aol.com