Event fee question

  • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
    Message 1 of 119 , Feb 19, 2003
      After running my event this weekend, and seeing many people from my canton
      show up, and not pay entry fees, and not do any work, I wondered how often
      that happens. My canton has this understanding that no one in the canton
      pays, since they are hosting. But I saw quite a few people from our group
      not doing anything to help. It was rather frustrating, as at our last
      event, when I authorized, I went ahead and paid the site fee since I knew I
      would be no help that day. How do you all do it?

      Apollonia

      Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
      Kingdom of Atlantia
      www.livejournal.com/users/apollonia

      **La vita senz'onore e un viver morto.**
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 119 of 119 , Mar 3 10:57 AM
        At 06:41 PM 3/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Well ... not always. I can think of several Laurels here in the
        >Outlands who practice and were recognized for multiple arts and
        >sciences. (I myself was recently recognized for cooking, dancing,
        >scribal arts, and lampworking -- I'm told that makes me a "Stuff"
        >Laurel ... <grin>).

        I don't mind people who are laurels in specific things and they are
        recognized as such - a single person Laureled in Dancing, illumination and
        research for example. What kills me is when someone says their laurel is
        in "Diverse Arts: all but Equestrian arts and non-cloth armor" or some such
        broad band of fields. I find such a description laughable because no one
        can be a master of that many things unless they are doing nothing else -
        even then, they will fall short of completely mastering something in that
        broad band.

        This person has mastered (according to the description) raising animals,
        spinning thread, weaving cloth, cooking, research, sewing, blowing glass,
        casting metalwork, making jewelry, cutting stones, pottery, and on and on
        ...... according to the description of "everything except armor and
        equestrian" and that is just so difficult to believe that I find it laughable.

        If someone has mastered an art, let them be known for it. If someone is
        being laureled, don't include everything that they have tried once as
        something for which they are being laureled. It just looks bad, IMO.

        Smiles,
        Despina