Re: Heraldic question

  • redswanne@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2003
      Another thing you may want to consider (and this is JUST a suggestion
      *smile*)

      Depending on the name you choose, it may be possible to cant on that name
      (a part of your name actually in your device, or vise/versa).

      When I was choosing my name, I had an idea of what I wanted (long drawn out
      process that is much funnier in the retelling than it was when we went
      about it). There was a WONDERFUL book herald living in Atillium
      (Atlantia), who helped me get everything straight. When her husband saw
      the end product, he sent me a sugestion for my device. I fell in love with
      it. Fits within my time period and all. (Vivat to all Heralds... You are
      wonderful!)

      It actually has been a great deal of fun having my name and my arms sharing
      the main "charge". Makes it easy for people to find me too....

      I have to agree with Mistress Caitlin... The easier the better. I thought
      about changing mine and adding semy d'lis. Then I tried to draw it....
      I've found that my "plain" arms will suit I of limited artistic skills just
      fine. *smile*

      Alianor atte Red Swanne
      Or, a swan rousant contourny, a sinister tierce gules
      Kingdom of Atlantia/Barony of Windmasters' Hill/Canton of Niemenfeld/Hound
      "Mom"

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Sarah Michele Ford
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2003
        On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, redswanne@... wrote:

        > Alianor atte Red Swanne

        Augh! And here I thought I was the only person spelling it this way!
        Does this mean I'm gonna have to start signing my full name?

        :^D

        Hi, Alianor, nice to meet you.

        Alianor de Ravenglas
        no device yet but I'm workin' on it

        Sarah Michele Ford
        /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
        Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
        reality is but an exception.
        --Jean Baudrillard
        \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
      • redswanne@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2003
          Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:38:32 -0600 (CST)
          From: Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@...>
          Subject: Re: Re: Heraldic question

          On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, redswanne@... wrote:

          > Alianor atte Red Swanne

          >>Augh! And here I thought I was the only person spelling it this way!
          >>Does this mean I'm gonna have to start signing my full name?

          :^D

          >>Hi, Alianor, nice to meet you.
          >>
          >>Alianor de Ravenglas
          >>no device yet but I'm workin' on it

          And well met to you, as well, m'lady.

          Seems our name is getting much more popular than it was, 3 years ago, when
          I chose it. Ahh, well all in good company :)

          Alianor
          (of the red swan variety)

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2003
            At 10:55 AM 2/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            >Seems our name is getting much more popular than it was, 3 years ago, when
            >I chose it. Ahh, well all in good company :)

            And two lovlier ladies couldn't be found to carry such a beautiful name.

            Smiles,
            Despina