Re: [Authentic_SCA] the smell of smoke (was: SCA and guns - and other weapons)

  • luann.mason@juno.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 4, 2003
      On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:19:05 -0000 "Kass McGann
      <historian@...>"
      <historian@...> writes:
      > At the Bachman Tavern (the 18thc house where we volunteer) this
      > autumn, the other volunteers were complaining how their clothes and
      > hair smelled of wood smoke when they went home. Me, I just love
      > opening my historical closet and breathing in the smell of
      > hickory...

      Cedar. I love to cook with cedar. Barely smokes while you're cooking,
      but everything smells like a dream afterward. While I wash up all my
      clothes, I always leave at least one apron smoky to get me through till
      the "season" starts again. My daughter keeps a teddy bear that goes with
      her so she gets HER hit that way. Too funny....

      LuAnn who wants to go PLAY already, darn it!
    • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 5, 2003
        > And Pennsic happens during the ragweed season. When I was a kid,
        my
        > family went to the seashore just to get away from the ragweed; my
        dad
        > was horribly allergic to the stuff.

        That's not a bad idea...

        Ragweed season starts about two weeks later here in Eastern PA. The
        first time I went to Pennsic, I didn't know this and I was miserable
        for four days because I didn't think to bring meds with me.

        The second time I went, it was that hideously hot summer when we had
        almost no rain. The ragweed died before it had a change to get
        airborn. =)

        Kass