Lighting Was: Change of subject

  • Laurie Cavanaugh
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2003
      Ooh!

      Around Christmas time, I found some battery-powered candle-shaped lights. I figure if I put them into a candle lantern whose glass sides are already a bit mucky with wax, it won't be too obvious that they aren't real candles. Good for inside the pavilion. I also still have this battery-powered 'strobelight' effect light that is supposed to go inside your Jack-O'-Lantern. When used inside a pumpkin you cannot tell that it's fake - the light flickers realistically. I haven't yet figured out how to incorporate this into a lantern, but I have some vague future idea to build a lantern around it in such a way that it doesn't show (bright orange plastic, of course). I'll probably try lanthorn panels. When I get that far down my to-do list. :-)

      Using modern technology to reproduce the effect of a simple candle. This is IMO the appropriate use of the 'Creative' in SCA. :-)

      Morgan Athenry

      wodeford wrote:

      Not willing to expose myself to the hazards of period light sources
      inside a pavilion, I am working on muslin "lampshades" for our
      battery lanterns, simple fabric tubes suspended from the lamp handles
      with wire frames. Not authentic in the least, but it hides the dread
      runes "Coleman" well enough and hopefully won't be too obtrusive.

    • wodeford <wodeford@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Cavanaugh
        <lscavanaugh@e...> wrote:
        > Ooh!
        >
        > Around Christmas time, I found some battery-powered candle-shaped
        > lights. I figure if I put them into a candle lantern whose glass
        sides
        > are already a bit mucky with wax, it won't be too obvious that they
        > aren't real candles.

        Morgan, how about lining the glass with parchment colored tissue
        paper to simulate horn panels?

        How much light do they throw? Most of the Christmas candles I've seen
        weren't particularly bright, unfortunately.

        I can see us tinkering with flashlight guts now..... ;->

        Jehanne