SCA and guns was Discussion list

  • Chiara Fagni/Kiara/Ciar
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 3, 2003

      How interesting.  Having been in the SCA for over 10 years now, I associate most of the people I know as being pro-NRA as being in the SCA.  Guns and Knifes fanatics seem to go hand and hand (oooohh, weapons) regardless of whether they are playing in a pre-gun setting.

      In fact I don't think I know more than one or two people who can legally carry a concealed weapon that are not in the SCA.  I see most of the guns at events for those people that insist on carrying one everywhere...including stuffed in thier sporrans.

      THe only people in the SCA I have run across that are very non-gun are over-protective mothers that would outlaw everything they could possibly concieve of that could give thier precious child the slightest ouchie.

      Hmmm...

      --Kiara

      Message: 24
      Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:15:39 -0500
      From: Cannoneer
      Subject: Re: Re: Discussion list?

      At 11:38 AM 02/03/2003 -0800, you wrote:

      <snip>

      Second, the
      Society is not known to be particularly gun friendly and most re-enactors
      are NMLRA/NRA to the max. I've witnessed this particular confrontation too
      many times to think it won't be a problem.

      Tight monitoring will be needed and clearly defined rules. But all in all,
      yes, i think it's worth the effort.

      Hawkyns
      SCA, Elizabethan, 17th Century, King George's War militia (1740's) and
      gunner on the Sloop 'Providence' (Rev War)
      ex WWII (both sides) and ex Confederate Cavalry

      Roderic Hawkyns
      Master Gunner

      Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl

      Message: 25
      Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:45:50 -0000
      From: "Kass McGann "
      Subject: Re: Discussion list?

      > Society is not known to be particularly gun friendly and most re-
      enactors
      > are NMLRA/NRA to the max. I've witnessed this particular
      confrontation too
      > many times to think it won't be a problem.

      I hadn't thought about that, Rod. You're right. Although I was just
      involved in a gun law argument on the Armour Archive and it was
      surprizingly one-sided although most of the participants are SCA
      armourers.

      > Tight monitoring will be needed and clearly defined rules. But all
      in all,
      > yes, i think it's worth the effort.

      There have been a couple interesting threads about different
      reenactment groups and SCA-type groups on the Armour Archive last
      week and that got me thinking. The problems only seem to arise when
      someone gets personal and insults someone personally. I mean, people
      react less to "people in the SCA are all farbs" than they do to "you,
      Master Hawkyns, are a farb. And I don't like your uncle Fred..."
      (for example only, of course!)

      How about this for a start:

      Rule #1: No personal attacks. A personal attack is a one-way ticket
      outta here.

      Rule #2: Do not take (perceived) attacks upon your organization
      personally. "Living history is full of snot-nosed fascists" doesn't
      mean "You are all snot-nosed fascists". Find the reason and correct
      the misperception.

      Any other ideas?

      Kass

    • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 5, 2003
        > And Pennsic happens during the ragweed season. When I was a kid,
        my
        > family went to the seashore just to get away from the ragweed; my
        dad
        > was horribly allergic to the stuff.

        That's not a bad idea...

        Ragweed season starts about two weeks later here in Eastern PA. The
        first time I went to Pennsic, I didn't know this and I was miserable
        for four days because I didn't think to bring meds with me.

        The second time I went, it was that hideously hot summer when we had
        almost no rain. The ragweed died before it had a change to get
        airborn. =)

        Kass