Re: Discussion list?

  • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
    Message 1 of 129 , Feb 3, 2003
      > Society is not known to be particularly gun friendly and most re-
      enactors
      > are NMLRA/NRA to the max. I've witnessed this particular
      confrontation too
      > many times to think it won't be a problem.

      I hadn't thought about that, Rod. You're right. Although I was just
      involved in a gun law argument on the Armour Archive and it was
      surprizingly one-sided although most of the participants are SCA
      armourers.

      > Tight monitoring will be needed and clearly defined rules. But all
      in all,
      > yes, i think it's worth the effort.

      There have been a couple interesting threads about different
      reenactment groups and SCA-type groups on the Armour Archive last
      week and that got me thinking. The problems only seem to arise when
      someone gets personal and insults someone personally. I mean, people
      react less to "people in the SCA are all farbs" than they do to "you,
      Master Hawkyns, are a farb. And I don't like your uncle Fred..."
      (for example only, of course!)

      How about this for a start:

      Rule #1: No personal attacks. A personal attack is a one-way ticket
      outta here.

      Rule #2: Do not take (perceived) attacks upon your organization
      personally. "Living history is full of snot-nosed fascists" doesn't
      mean "You are all snot-nosed fascists". Find the reason and correct
      the misperception.

      Any other ideas?

      Kass
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 129 of 129 , Feb 7, 2003
        At 09:32 PM 2/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:

        >One of my very few complaints about the SCA is that this outfit has
        >totally ruined my sense of wonder at seeing people in archaic dress.

        Ah, but it has greatly improved my appreciation for those who do it
        correctly. Those who wear proper clothing and have the proper deportment
        for the clothing/time/area they are representing are more of a joy for me
        now. YMMV.

        Smiles,
        Despina