Re: Discussion list?

  • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
    Message 1 of 129 , Feb 3, 2003
      > This could be a good idea, if everyone can come to the list with an
      open
      > mind and not reflexively put their own group's style forward as the
      One
      > True Way.

      That will inevitably raise its ugly head no matter how much we wish
      it didn't. But my hope is that this list will promote understanding,
      not argument.

      Currently on another list, I've asked how people perceive living
      history. Many of the respondents are in the SCA, but they either are
      into living history too or they have close friends who are. So the
      discussion is very calm and one-sided at the moment. We shall see
      what happens overnight...

      > On the other hand, I have met
      > several other people putting themselves forward as reenactors who
      have
      > been downright rude, and further, broke any atmosphere by running
      down
      > other people and how inauthentic they were.

      We meet these types all the time. Strangely enough, they are usually
      the bottom-feeders of the reenactment community.

      > Exactly. And neither one is inherently better or worse.

      Better for some people. Worse for others. The point I'm trying to
      make is that they're different and they have different goals.

      > Good luck!

      Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out where to post the invitation
      to the non-SCA groups...

      Kass
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 129 of 129 , Feb 7, 2003
        At 09:32 PM 2/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:

        >One of my very few complaints about the SCA is that this outfit has
        >totally ruined my sense of wonder at seeing people in archaic dress.

        Ah, but it has greatly improved my appreciation for those who do it
        correctly. Those who wear proper clothing and have the proper deportment
        for the clothing/time/area they are representing are more of a joy for me
        now. YMMV.

        Smiles,
        Despina