Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period beading on clothing

  • Cheryl C
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2003
      If you haven't already found this website, http://www.medievalbeads.com/ , it's a great resource for medieval beading. Hope it helps.

      Cheryl
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 2:50 PM
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Period beading on clothing

      Ok, thank you all for your responses to my question about gromets and
      covering them. I appreciate the information and the constructive way
      everyone posted (I have frequented some hostile boards in the past
      where questions weren't answered so nicely!).

      So, I now have another question...I have recently acquired a passion
      for beading. However, I only really enjoy doing it on clothing right
      now. I do like making jewelry, but a lot of folks are doing that,
      too. I know that beading on clothing was done and is period (I only
      use 'natural' beads: bone, stone, semi-precious gem types, and
      metals), but I have had a hard time finding good examples online or
      in texts.

      I use my imagination of course, and try to incorporate beading and
      stitching together. I know my ideas of 'art' are very different from
      someone living and creating one thousand years ago, so that is why I
      search for reference points; I don't want to go off on too much of
      any weird tangents.

      Examples I have found are pictures on scraps of clothing, a few
      paintings (these are portraits usually, not a lot of detail), and a
      few lines in a book on general costuming. What I am looking for are
      any websites dedicated in whole or in part to beading on period
      clothing, or books of the same idea (I'd be keen on a chapter even!).

      Again, I appreciate the time anyone takes to post links, thoughts, or
      hints and I try to return the favor here when I can. Thank you for
      all the help provided so far!

      ~Ket