Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 1507

  • Paquerette
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2003
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 7
      > Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:16:31 -0000
      > From: "azilisarmor <alsnchap@...>" <alsnchap@...>
      > Subject: got a lot of questions...
      >
      > I'm fairly new at this. Have adopted Breton persona, running into
      > trouble researching her. Lot of inconsistencies, together with the
      > fact that so little info remains about Western Brittany between the
      > 8th and 12th centuries according to the sources I found. I was
      > interested in seamanship along the stretch between the Bay of Biscay
      > and the Channel. According to Cassard, the Bretons "turned their
      > back on the sea" throughout this period, partly because of the
      > Viking incursions of the 9th-early 11th centuries. But there must
      > have been some traffic and trade, else how could the nobility have
      > gotten to England when the Vikings started being bothersome??
      > Then there's the question of language: if I want to stay west of the
      > Loth line, I presume my persona's first language would be Breton.
      > But which dialect? And would she speak French as well? How were
      > bynames constructed (if at all?)
      > Any advice?

      Unfortunately I don't have much advice, but I want to say hello to a
      fellow Breton! I'm sometime roughly between 7th and 9th centuries. I
      have not done much persona work yet, either, so for now I consider
      myself a basic lady-of-the-manor type.

      Have you discovered the sca_bretons yahoo group yet? It's very small and
      inactive, but nice folks.

      Lady Ennoguent filia Bronmael.