Bumrolls was: Re: Spanish style

  • ladymorwenna <ladymorwenna@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
      > I believe those are bolsters for french drum farthingales,
      > not bum rolls.
      >
      > Catalina

      It's the only 16th century (barely) illustration that I know of which
      shows women wearing hip padding. Whether they were called bumrolls or
      farthengales, I don't know.

      My point, which I'm not sure I actually made, was that I personally
      don't have any primary documentation for wearing croissant shaped
      padding over a Spanish farthengale. However, there was a fashion around
      1600 to wear a big sausage around the hips and it was widespread enough
      to be parodied.

      I've got a not so great picture of myself wearing one of these rolls in
      my folder in the photo section. It was made from a length of quilt
      batting rolled up, tied at intervals to help it curve, and covered with
      a canvas sleeve.

      --Morwenna