decadence in clothing

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      At 10:45 AM 1/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >Isn't it so cool that we do these things? I mean, look at the typical
      >non-SCAdian. What do they do? New poly blend dress from Lord and Taylor
      >to go the Junior League dance? Parasuco jeans for clubbing? And we
      >casually mention velvet slippers and silk satins. How decadent. And how
      >wonderful to have such richness in our lives!

      I agree completely. Most modern women of my station (finance and social
      standing) feel special if they have one or two silk blouses in their closet.

      I have a couple of silk gowns (not dresses, gowns); some silk chemises; in
      the days of $80 linen sack dresses, I own several linen gowns; and three
      linen chemises. I have a fur lined silk damask coat - most women of my
      station today don't own such a thing, and if they do own fur, it's rabbit,
      not lynx.

      We are indeed lucky to play a game that gives us the opportunity to bask in
      the light of decadence.

      Smiles,
      Despina