Re: [Authentic_SCA] Shoes

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
      At 10:48 AM 1/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >And for their later stuff, that's fine, as I had said. But they are
      >showing 1300-1400 style uppers, with heeled soles, which is not correct.
      >Agreed, sometime in the 1500's it became increasingly common, but for
      >the earlier stuff they are showing there should not be a heel.

      Oh, sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. You are correct. *blush*

      Smiles,
      Despina de la should read more carefully
    • Steven Proctor
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
        Why feel sorry for us? I had a very good time and felt quite elegant in
        my double breasted dinner jacket at New Years. Copper/black silk foulard
        waistcoat, and black satin tie.... I was quite stylish.

        If gentlemen are uncomfortable in dinner jackets it's because they are
        either unaccustomed to them, or wearing badly made ones. Or possibly
        both... :-D

        Ta

        Adhemar
        ...turned a head or two, as well, I did...

        --
        Having opened my 40th birthday present from my husband - a kitchen
        window fan - and now on my way to the bakery to pick up my cake, I

        GH/TW$ d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
        DI++ D G e h r* y*** y++ k++ !f X+
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
          At 10:59 AM 1/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >If gentlemen are uncomfortable in dinner jackets it's because they are
          >either unaccustomed to them, or wearing badly made ones. Or possibly
          >both... :-D

          this is what I see most frequently - both. Bogdan can wear a tuxedo or a
          t-shirt with equal flare and comfort. Most men today are programmed that
          they shouldn't like to 'dress up' and so they fuss and try not to do
          so. It's a pity for them. Now, the ones like Adhemar and Bogdan, who know
          what to wear and how to wear it, more power to them; their sort will
          usually turn heads and get lots of attention!

          Sounds like you were spiff, darling Baron! Wish I could have seen it.

          Smiles,
          Despina de la loves it when a man is comfortable in his clothes
        • marshamclean@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
              "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

              > this is what I see most frequently - both. Bogdan can wear a tuxedo
              > or a
              > t-shirt with equal flare and comfort. Most men today are programmed
              > that
              > they shouldn't like to 'dress up' and so they fuss and try not to do
              > so. It's a pity for them. Now, the ones like Adhemar and Bogdan, who
              > know
              > what to wear and how to wear it, more power to them; their sort will
              > usually turn heads and get lots of attention!

              I have a slightly unfair advantage in this. I went to a prep school were
              a blazer was required wearing at almost all points wen on campus. So I
              can do almost anything in a reasonably well made suit jacket. Eat,
              sleep, serve tables, dance, study, play football/frisbee/any other sort
              of grab-ass game on the quad, climb trees/over fences... other things as
              well... :-D

              > Sounds like you were spiff, darling Baron! Wish I could have seen it.

              There are, alas, no pictures...

              Ta

              Adhemar

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                Well, the more fool they, then... :-D

                Formal does not have to be boring. I have a number of vests/tie sets,
                from the afore mentioned foulard to a red velvet one with satin lapels
                which I usually wear at Christmas, to the Holstein print with black
                lapels that I made for a party where the invitation said 'bovine
                formal'... Admittedly, I made them for myself, so I had some choice in
                the matter, but it's not *that* hard to find an interesting
                waiscoat/cummerbund and tie commercially...

                Ta

                Adhemar

              • Cannoneer
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                  At 10:04 AM 01/02/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                  > Most men today are programmed that
                  >they shouldn't like to 'dress up' and so they fuss and try not to do
                  >so. It's a pity for them. Now, the ones like Adhemar and Bogdan, who know
                  >what to wear and how to wear it, more power to them; their sort will
                  >usually turn heads and get lots of attention!

                  I don't think that's neccesarily the case. I rather prefer to think that
                  men now have a better sense that it's what you're doing that counts, not
                  how you look while you're doing it. Yes, there are times to dress, but
                  they are rare. I'm
                  most comfortable in garb. After that, fleece, wool, and Gortex for hiking,
                  hill climbing and, backpacking. On the rare occasions that a jacket might
                  be needed, tweeds and cords are as far as I'll go. probably comes from my
                  family background of Yorkshire farmers.

                  >Sounds like you were spiff, darling Baron! Wish I could have seen it.

                  I did and yes, he looked great. I just don't like wearing a noose around
                  my neck.

                  >Smiles,
                  >Despina de la loves it when a man is comfortable in his clothes

                  Rod (proud not to own a suit)

                  Roderic Hawkyns
                  Master Gunner

                  Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl
                • Theresa Brooks
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                    Please do speak to your retainer about that. What was the point of me buying him that digital camera for Christmas if he only takes it to work!!!

                    Isabella