Re: Thanks for the welcome!

  • Jenny Poulin <redisbest100@yahoo.co.uk>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2002
      Adele, your new project sounds wonderful, and the pictures on your
      website of previous dresses are terrific!! Thanks so much for
      sharing....doesn't a great deal on fabric make you happy for days!?

      *grin*

      Matilda

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Revere <WriteMe@L...>

    • wodeford <wodeford@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jenny Poulin
        <redisbest100@y...>" <redisbest100@y...> wrote:
        > I was inspired by references to St. Catherine wheel designs and
        > other "wheel designs" that were embroidered on royal gowns referred
        > to in the book "Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince". So I've
        > embroidered my navy overdress bodice in shades of gold to brown
        with
        > tendrilling wheely-spiral shapes. It is coming along very nicely.

        It looks great! I hope to have pictures of my super secret Twelfth
        Night project once the cat is out of the bag. I tried my hand at
        block printing on fabric and it's really fun - and looks wicked cool.

        Jehanne de Wodeford (West)
      • Brooke Revere
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2002
          Matilda said:
          ...doesn't a great deal on fabric make you happy for days!?

          It most certainly does! An interesting little phenomenon... part of the costuming addiction, I guess. :-)

          Adele Fontane

        • marshamclean@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2002
            ...phew...is Christmas over yet?

            I just wanted to thank you all for making me feel very welcome and
            accepted (special cheers to Katherine and Madinia!). It has been
            wonderful to read you advice, ideas, and opinions over the past few
            months. It's inspiring, truly.

            One of my favourite threads was started by Katherine when she asked
            for people to write in with the projects on which they were currently
            working.  Wow. What a creative group!

            Since I have felt the occasional twinge (okay...massive jolt) of
            guilt over my lurking and not participating, I think that it is only
            just that I share with you what I'm working on now...even though I've
            missed the original thread by a couple of months *grin*.

            ...well, it all began when I found a table of gorgeous light-weight
            wool melton (150 cm) on sale for $3.99/m....oh man...I now own 20
            metres.

            In October I used Dame Helen's excellent website (www.damehelen.com)
            to make a set of Greenland dresses. The website instructions are very
            well laid out and easy to use, even if you don't have a buddy with
            you to help with the pinning, trust me. :-)  The first underdress and
            short-sleeve overdress set that I made was exceedingly comfortable
            and the portion of navy wool melton that I bought had 'cotehardie'
            written all over it. So, far be it from me to argue with the Spirit
            of the Fabric...I began to design the dress I would make.

            I decided to make a late 14th C front buttoning overdess with long
            sleeves buttoning to the elbow, finger-length mitten cuffs, low scoop
            neck and wide shoulder opening.  The underdress would be made of
            burnished light gold cotton, long-sleeve, bodice interlined with
            canvas for support, front lacing and matching neck shape to the
            overdress.

            I was inspired by references to St. Catherine wheel designs and
            other "wheel designs" that were embroidered on royal gowns referred
            to in the book "Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince". So I've
            embroidered my navy overdress bodice in shades of gold to brown with
            tendrilling wheely-spiral shapes.  It is coming along very nicely.  I
            found very heavy cast silver metal buttons with spirals on them and
            they look lovely on the navy.

            I'm also very happy to say that a large coat liner of luscious beaver
            fur has just come into my possession....and a small portion will
            become a cozy liner for a matching fitted buttoned hood (see page 191
            of "Texiles and Clothing  1150 - 1450").  I'm planning to make the
            liner removable, but not obviously so, so that I can put it into
            other hoods of the same pattern as I create them...so many hoods, so
            little fur. (at this point I could go on and on about my other plans
            for the remaining fur...but I'm trying to remain focussed on the
            Dress...sigh...so easy to get distracted by other interesting
            projects.)

            Anyway, my progress on the Dress is coming nicly.  I'm almost done
            the overdress (complete with flat-felling all the seams, which is
            about a bizillion on an eight-gore Greenland dress...nod to Kass, it
            IS relaxing), and the underdress just needs sleeves and lacing holes
            up the front.  I haven't begun designing the hood yet, but I'm trying
            to stay focussed on my embroidery right now :-) so this isn't
            necessarily a bad thing.  I should be done soon.

            Well, thanks for listening.  I'm going to try to load some pictures
            into a file on the group's site under Matilda Picture's.  Please have
            a look at my work in progress.

            If anyone else has projects that they're currently working on or
            planning, I'd love to read about them! (please, please!) As I get
            around to cutting into the other 16 m of melton, I promise I'll share.

            Cheers and Merry Christmas Is Over to one and all,

            Matilda

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
              > Well, thanks for listening. I'm going to try to load some pictures
              > into a file on the group's site under Matilda Picture's. Please
              have
              > a look at my work in progress.

              I hope the list will forgive me for going back and responding to
              older posts, but I'm having some computer trouble but I couldn't let
              this one go by.

              Matilda, I haven't yet managed to look at your photos, but I applaud
              you on your project. The acquisition of the wool melton and beaver
              fur alone deserved applause, but what you're planning to do with it
              is enough to make an old authenticist just bawl her jaded eyes out!

              What a wonderful project! Well done. Please keep us informed.

              Kass