Cool discovery!

  • marshamclean@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2002
      On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:12:33 -0500, Cannoneer <cannoneer@...>
      wrote:

      >I'm in the middle of a search for sealskin.  Don't need much, just a square
      >foot or so for a period tobacco pouch.  BUT..... I'm told that this is yet
      >another of the prohibited items to sell in the US.

      Do you have any friends in Alaska or Canada?  I believe that at least
      one tribe of Native Americans has seal rights (my sis has sent us
      stuff from Alaska that certainly *looks* like sealskin).

      jenn
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jridley@...

    • Rosine
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2002
        >> Discovery of Tolkien's translation of Beowulf.
        >> This is a turn up for the book!
        >> Discovery of 2000 handwritten pages of Tolkien's translation and
        >> detailed notes on the poem, by American academic Michael Drout, to be
        >> published in 2003.Found in a box of papers at the Bodleian library in
        >> Oxford. (Sunday Times Dec29 2002)
        >> Peter

        Michael Drout said that the book was supposed to be available via Amazon
        Books before Christmas, but it hadn't been listed the last time I checked (I
        haven't checked since las thursday). He's been keeping the Anglo-Saxon list
        updated periodically since he took the project on - the work is fantastic.
        Here's a quote of one section:

        Tolkien gave a 'free version' of ll. 210-228 to
        illustrate the metre:

        Time passed away. On the tide floated
        under bank their boat. In her bows mounted
        brave men blithely. Breakers turning
        spurned the shingle. Splendid armour
        they bore aboard, in her bosom piling
        well-forged weapons, then away thrust her
        to voyage gladly valiant-timbered.
        She went then over wave-tops, wind pursued her,
        fleet, foam-throated like a flying bird;
        and her curving prow on its course waded,
        till in due season on the day after
        those sea-farers saw before them
        shore-cliffs shimmering and sheer mountains,
        wide capes by the waves: to water's end
        the ship had journeyed. Then ashore swiftly
        they leaped to land, lords of Gothland,
        bound fast their boat. Their byrnies rattled,
        grim gear of war. God thanked they then
        that their sea-passage safe had proven.

        I'd highly reccomend the book, as soon as you can get it.
        Rosine