Re: [Authentic_SCA] Kamakura

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2000
      > Hemp is terribly expensive since it's not allowed to be grown in the US. It
      > often exceeds $18 a yard (more than silk!). I would suggest using linen as
      > a substitute. It looks very similar and is from a similar plant. Go to
      > fabrics-store.com for great prices. Also, since silk can sometimes be had
      > for $6 a yard, try silkconnection.com. Just avoid making things out of silk
      > noil (aka "raw silk"). It's not period and it tends to fall apart.

      Okay, thanks...

      > By the way, sashiko quilting started in the 18th century. But if you're
      > doing it for non-SCA purposes, go right ahead.

      Oh, really? I don't mean the patterned kind, but the utilitarian straight
      kind for repairing garments...would that be period? If not, how would the
      non-nobility have repaired their old clothes? I love the look of
      well-wornedness (not a word, but then again, I don't speak these Western
      tongues so well ;)). With my Jewish garb, I have tried to get the same
      "worn look" you see in National Geographic pictures of Middle-Easterners...

      Moshe
      Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
      Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.
      "Miseravle! Porqué vienes agora