Stockings/drawers at the Met?

  • Julie Stackable
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
      Guess it's my night for questions...
      Have any of you ever seen the stockings (minus
      feet) and the two pairs of Italian drawers at the
      Metropolitan Museum in NYC? (at least, I assume
      they are still there). I have emailed the museum
      a couple of times with no luck trying to get some
      measurements on them but have never had an
      answer. Anybody seen 'em OR know a contact at the
      museum I can try?- I'm not having any luck with
      the contacts listed on the website.
      Many thanks,
      Margaret Hepburn

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Carolle M Cox
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
        Margaret, i've tried the same route, and gotten absolutely nowhere. Anyone
        got relatives in the area who'd be willing to do a bit of research for us?
        Mine all left for Virginia a decade ago, drat the timing.

        Gerita
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
          Ummm. I'm in the area, and I'll probably be shooting down there this
          month (seeing the Tallis Scholars in the Medieval Hall...). What info
          have you got, I'll see what I can do...

          Ta

          Adhemar

          Carolle M Cox wrote:

          > Margaret, i've tried the same route, and gotten absolutely nowhere.
          > Anyone
          > got relatives in the area who'd be willing to do a bit of research for
          > us?
          > Mine all left for Virginia a decade ago, drat the timing.
          >
          > Gerita

          Having opened my 40th birthday present from my husband - a kitchen
          window fan - and now on my way to the bakery to pick up my cake, I
          started thinking: What if I get hit in this intersection, and, struck
          with amnesia, I hobble to the edge of the highway, hungry and confused,
          and am picked up by a lonely trucker headed for McDonald's and since I
          have no memory, I've forgotten I hate McDonald's, so I hop in, and he -
          just thankful for the company - figures I'm a middle aged housewife
          looking for love in all the wrong places and he's got several of them?

          GH/TW$ d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
          DI++ D G e h r* y*** y++ k++ !f X+
        • Carolle M Cox
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
            Only that they exist. Since i'm trying to collect sox and underwear, that
            fact alone is enough to get me 'jonesing' for photos, measurements, whatever
            i can find. Museum is, i guess, too busy for us common folk.

            Gerita

            > Ummm. I'm in the area, and I'll probably be shooting down there this
            > month (seeing the Tallis Scholars in the Medieval Hall...). What info
            > have you got, I'll see what I can do...
            >
            > Ta
            >
            > Adhemar
            >

            > Carolle M Cox wrote:
            >
            > > Margaret, i've tried the same route, and gotten absolutely nowhere.
            > > Anyone
            > > got relatives in the area who'd be willing to do a bit of research for
            > > us?
            > > Mine all left for Virginia a decade ago, drat the timing.
            > >
            > > Gerita

            > --
            > Having opened my 40th birthday present from my husband - a kitchen
            > window fan - and now on my way to the bakery to pick up my cake, I
            > started thinking: What if I get hit in this intersection, and, struck
            > with amnesia, I hobble to the edge of the highway, hungry and confused,
            > and am picked up by a lonely trucker headed for McDonald's and since I
            > have no memory, I've forgotten I hate McDonald's, so I hop in, and he -
            > just thankful for the company - figures I'm a middle aged housewife
            > looking for love in all the wrong places and he's got several of them?
            >
            > GH/TW$ d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@
            > DI++ D G e h r* y*** y++ k++ !f X+

          • Jeff Gedney
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
              > (seeing the Tallis Scholars in the Medieval Hall...).

              You lucky little @$%%#&!!

              Oh! uh...

              Oh My Esteemed Baron, you are truly fortunate!
              the Tallis Scholars are among my uttermost favorites!!!

              Not just anyone is willing to take on Jeremiah's Lamentations,
              and to do it with such hair-raising fidelity...

              It moves me to tears, still...

              Elias

              Going back to school is like riding a bike ...

              After fumbling with the pedals, getting saddle
              sores from a too-small seat, and struggling
              uphill, you realize why you got a car in the
              first place.

            • Christina L Biles
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
                >>>Anybody seen 'em OR know a contact at the
                museum I can try?- I'm not having any luck with
                the contacts listed on the website.
                Many thanks,
                Margaret Hepburn

                Margaret,

                How are you approaching them? If you say, "I'm an SCA member named
                Margaret Hepburn, mundanely known as John Doe," you'll get ignored. If
                you have any academic connection, mention it. If not, list yourself as a
                researcher - not as a reenactor.

                Explain that you are interested in X piece, as seen in X book. (Include a
                scan if you have it.) If the piece has an accession number, list it in
                your email. If not, prominently mention that you are looking for an
                accession number. (Among other things, an accession number opens up the
                possibility of ordering a _good_ photo of the item.) Ask them if they
                would be willing to send you the physical description of the item from
                their catalog.

                Unless you find someone sympathetic or temporarily not overworked, you
                won't get any more details. (And their costume collection was down
                several staff earlier this year.) At the Met, the pieces might be in the
                costume collection, in the textiles collection, or scattered somewhere
                else. A given curator will know what they have in "their" collection,
                but won't know the other collections. (I'm STILL looking for the Italian
                camica in Tortora supposedly at the Met.)

                Met General Information: 212-535-7710
                Call and ask for whichever collection. (Ask for the number when you get
                there so that you'll have it in the future.)

                Good Luck,
                -Magdalena