Washing wool

  • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
      I just bought some wool, how do I wash it so it doesn't full? I don't think
      I want it to full, anyway...

      Apollonia

      Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
      Kingdom of Atlantia
      www.livejournal.com/users/apollonia

      **Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
      immane mittam.**
    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
        >I just bought some wool, how do I wash it so it doesn't full? I don't think
        >I want it to full, anyway...

        I assume you mean wool yardage, not raw fleece?

        You want to wash it before cutting, the way that you are planning
        to wash the garment.

        To be safest, cut two samples and over stitch the edges of each
        so they wont ravel, and wash one. Let it dry flat, then compare
        the washed and unwashed samples. Measure the shrinkage, check
        for any undesirable fuzziness.

        Or make three samples. Wash two, let one air dry and put one in
        the dryer.

        I put it in the washer with wash and rinse both set to cold and
        a small amount of my regular detergent.
        Do NOT put it in the dryer. Either hang it to dry,
        or let it dry flat.
        You may want to put a sign on the washer "DO NOT PUT IN DRYER".
        My "helpful" husband has moved wool to the dryer for me.

        Ranvaig