"Medieval" music box

  • Joan Hall
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
      I try not to apply SCA standards to mundane things,
      truly I do! But Geez Louise!!! I was just browsing
      through one of those up-scale Christmas gifts catalogs
      and was excited to see the words "Medieval Music Box".
      It was a Faberge-style egg which plays Rachmaninoff's
      "Variations on a Theme by Paganini."
      aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh

      Joan the Harper

      =====
      "And she'd had lucky eyes and a high heart, and wisdom that caught fire, at need, like the dried flax and made her beautiful and fierce, sudden and laughing."
      [My favorite line of poetry in the world, from Yeats' "The Old Age of Queen Maeve."]

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
        I could probably fling it from my ballista, as soon as I get the ropes fixed....

        :)

        Apollonia

        Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
        Kingdom of Atlantia
        www.livejournal.com/users/apollonia

        **Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.**

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
          <apollonia@...> wrote:
          > I could probably fling it from my ballista, as soon
          > as I get the ropes
          > fixed....
          >
          > :)

          You may have stumbled onto a nice little business
          here! What would you charge to fling my boss from
          your ballista? ;-)

          Joan the Harper

          =====
          "And she'd had lucky eyes and a high heart, and wisdom that caught fire, at need, like the dried flax and made her beautiful and fierce, sudden and laughing."
          [My favorite line of poetry in the world, from Yeats' "The Old Age of Queen Maeve."]

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz

            You may have stumbled onto a nice little business
            here!  What would you charge to fling my boss from
            your ballista?  ;-)

            Joan the Harper

          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
              At 11:07 AM 12/2/2002 -0500, you wrote:
              >I think, for a boss, I'd much rather use a catapult. That way, there's no
              >chance they'd get stuck between the torsion arms...

              Careful about that, evidently catapult flinging of humans is considered a
              type of sport... and not always survivable.

              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2510573.stm

              Despina de la some people's children make Darwin look like he was on to
              someting......
            • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                  NO problem there. I have a trebuchet! It can fling about 300 lbs several
                  dozen yards . . . .

                  Gerita, grinning

                  > I think, for a boss, I'd much rather use a catapult. That way, there's no
                  > chance they'd get stuck between the torsion arms...
                  >
                  > ;)
                  >
                  > Apollonia
                  >
                  > Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
                  > Kingdom of Atlantia
                  > www.livejournal.com/users/apollonia
                  >
                  > **Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
                  > immane mittam.**

                • wodeford
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Joan Hall <joan_the_harpist1119@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > I try not to apply SCA standards to mundane things,
                    > truly I do! But Geez Louise!!! I was just browsing
                    > through one of those up-scale Christmas gifts catalogs
                    > and was excited to see the words "Medieval Music Box".
                    > It was a Faberge-style egg which plays Rachmaninoff's
                    > "Variations on a Theme by Paganini."
                    > aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh

                    That's OK, as a birthday gift my mother sent me a bracelet inlaid
                    with green stones that she thought "looked medieval." Looks Victorian
                    to me, but I'm not going to tell HER that. ;->

                    Jehanne
                  • borderlands15213
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Joan Hall <joan_the_harpist1119@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I try not to apply SCA standards to mundane things,
                      > > truly I do! But Geez Louise!!! I was just browsing
                      > > through one of those up-scale Christmas gifts catalogs
                      > > and was excited to see the words "Medieval Music Box".
                      > > It was a Faberge-style egg which plays Rachmaninoff's
                      > > "Variations on a Theme by Paganini."
                      > > aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh
                      >
                      > That's OK, as a birthday gift my mother sent me a bracelet inlaid
                      > with green stones that she thought "looked medieval." Looks
                      Victorian
                      > to me, but I'm not going to tell HER that. ;->
                      >
                      > Jehanne

                      Does sound pretty, Jehanne.
                      Yseult
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "borderlands15213" <borderlands15213@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Does sound pretty, Jehanne.

                        It is, gold tone plaques with lots of tiny green stones in a sort of
                        floral looking setting. But definitely not medieval. ;->

                        J.