OT Costuming Q, cross-posted

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2002
      Good gentles,
      I've already asked this on a couple of other lists, and it seems to
      be a really tough question to answer.
      So, I hope I may be forgiven that this isn't about SCA garb, and that
      someone, or several someones, can help.

      Last Yuletide I made for a near-and-dear relative the icicle-trimmed
      holly-wreath worn by the Spirit of Christmas Present in the
      movie "Scrooge," a musical version of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol,"
      with Sir Albert Finney in the title role. It started out as a
      casual, humorous thing to do because this relative is just completely
      over-the-top when he celebrates Christmas, much like the exuberant,
      larger-than-life Christmas Present Spirit in the film. I off-
      handedly said that next year (this one!) I'd do the rest of the
      outfit. The robe won't be that much of a problem, but I just
      realized I'll be trapunto quilting the "stamped" medallion shapes on
      the wide, gold belt, and I don't know what they are.
      Here's the question:
      Can **anybody** determine what the repoussee images on that belt
      actually are? One young lady on another list said she and her dad
      looked and thought they'd discovered a lion's head and medallion of
      Celtic knotwork. I thought I had spotted a Christmas wreath.
      Neither my VCR nor my small screen nor their copy of the film are
      good enough to let us see these clearly. One solution, I suppose,
      would be to just guess at what the costumer had in mind, but if I can
      reproduce those, it'll make two people so much happier!

      Off-list is fine, rather than clutter up this bandwidth with what is
      off-topic.
      Any input will be much appreciated.

      Yseult