Re: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Standing Ruff

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
      At 02:18 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
      >I was being diplomatical.

      oh. I figured I was just being obtuse as usual. *grin*

      ><G> Share drugs?

      not on your life! I've only got three left!

      > And everyone has to cheer me with my new project - TRH Midrealm have
      > asked me to clothe Them! I am so going crazy on that!

      Congrats.

      Smiles,
      Despina de la whee
    • marshamclean@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
          At 02:47 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
          >If you wish period starch making instructions, do write me.

          Where did you find your period starch making instructions? What are they?

          *grin*
          Despina de la always curious
        • Kirrily Robert
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
            Despina wrote:
            > At 02:47 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
            >>If you wish period starch making instructions, do write me.
            >
            > Where did you find your period starch making instructions? What are they?

            I'd like to know too. At hte moment I buy wheat starch at a chinese
            grocery, and mix it with water, and just wash the garment in that.
            Anything from milky (for a light starching of a shirt or something) to
            almost a sloppy paste (for ruffs etc). If the starch mix is thick, it
            helps to pre-dampen the cloth by dunking it in plain water and wringing
            it out, so that the starch can get into the fabric more easily.

            Then I let it get almost dry, and iron it as required.

            Yours,

            Katherine

            katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
          • marshamclean@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
              At 02:47 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
              >If you wish period starch making instructions, do write me.

              Where did you find your period starch making instructions?  What are they?

              *grin*
              Despina de la always curious

            • Gwendoline Rosamond
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
                At 01:21 PM 11/5/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                >At 11:18 AM 11/5/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                > >Doesn't Margo Anderson's Elizabethan Accessories
                > >pattern have a standing ruff & the supportasse to go
                > >with it?
                >
                >I believe so. Dame Gwen has said that her patterns are workable and worth
                >the money, IIRC. If I am not remembering right, I apologize.
                >
                >Smiles,
                >Despina de la wow this is fun

                Ack! I'm glad I caught this. WRONG! Nope, I find her patterns to make
                many claims to authenticity that don't actually relate to reality as I've
                seen it. All the people I know who've used her patterns have had
                problems. Personally, I haven't tried them so take it for what it's
                worth! Please Despina, don't do that to me again!!!!! : )

                Cheers,
                Gwendoline
              • Gwendoline Rosamond
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
                  No, no, no. It's the Matua Maker patterns I've been beta testing and
                  impressed with. Please, please, please, don't link me with Margo's patterns!

                  oh, and for ruffs, check out this page - they are good
                  instructions. http://www.faucet.net/costume/period/ruff.html

                  Cheers,
                  Gwendoline

                  At 02:47 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                  >I believe Gwendoline was beta-testing some of Margo's patterns and was
                  >impressed. I have liked what I've seen of them. I'd be interested in
                  >what she has to say about ruffs.
                  >
                  >You were not being obtuse. It's been drizzling/threatening here for
                  >several weeks with few breaks and not having a headache is a rare
                  >miracle. So my head is on another plane, full of RiverDancing
                  >hamsters. It's definitely me.
                  >
                  >I need to wear my ruffs more - but I'm always on the edge of a
                  >technological breakthrough and reluctant to wear the "old"
                  >model. Oh! When you starch a finished ruff, use an old curling iron as a
                  >goffering stick to set the starch. If you wish period starch making
                  >instructions, do write me.
                  >
                  >Madinia
                • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
                    Message
                    Oooo!  Care to share why the patterns are not authentic?  I haven't looked at them too closely, due to the prices....

                    Apollonia