Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: What's the singular of hose?

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:51:05 -0900 (AKST), Ii Saburou
      <logan@...> wrote:

      >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:
      >
      >> I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
      >> would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
      >> to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
      >> considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
      >> plural.
      >
      >Obsolete or archaic?
      yes.

      Under one sub-definition, 'hose' as singular is labeled obs, while
      under the other, 'hosen' as plural is labeled arch Take your pick....

      >Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
      >med-i-ae-val ;)
      There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
      archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
      figure it out....

      jenn
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jridley@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        In German, Hosen is plural, Hose is singular. Now, remember pronunciation"
        Hoe-sen, and Hoe-suh (roughly). :>P

        Gerita

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          Jenn wrote:
          > There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
          > archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
          > figure it out....

          I think "archaic" means "old-fashioned" whereas "obsolete" means "not
          used anymore". So an archaic term can be used, though it would sound
          funny to most people, whereas an obsolete word is no longer part of the
          language.

          Yours,

          Katherine

          katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/