Re: What's the singular of hose?

  • Lena Strid
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
      Jenn wrote:

      > I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
      would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
      to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
      considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
      plural.

      Well, that would explain it. I do recall to have heard hosen somewhere, but could not
      place it. (And hoses just sounds too wierd...)

      Thanks!

      Lena

      Bättre börda på vägen man ej bär än mycket mannavett.
      - Nä, men lite guld, silver, smaragder, vita särkar, öl, vin och en och annan galt är inte
      heller så dumt!

      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:51:05 -0900 (AKST), Ii Saburou
        <logan@...> wrote:

        >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:
        >
        >> I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
        >> would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
        >> to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
        >> considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
        >> plural.
        >
        >Obsolete or archaic?
        yes.

        Under one sub-definition, 'hose' as singular is labeled obs, while
        under the other, 'hosen' as plural is labeled arch Take your pick....

        >Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
        >med-i-ae-val ;)
        There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
        archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
        figure it out....

        jenn
        --
        Jenn Ridley
        jridley@...
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          In German, Hosen is plural, Hose is singular. Now, remember pronunciation"
          Hoe-sen, and Hoe-suh (roughly). :>P

          Gerita

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
            Jenn wrote:
            > There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
            > archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
            > figure it out....

            I think "archaic" means "old-fashioned" whereas "obsolete" means "not
            used anymore". So an archaic term can be used, though it would sound
            funny to most people, whereas an obsolete word is no longer part of the
            language.

            Yours,

            Katherine

            katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/