Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: What's the singular of hose?

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, GR Auklandus wrote:

      > > Also, I've heard 'hosen'--is that just the German plural?
      > >
      > > -Ii
      > Again, no.
      >
      > In the King James Version of the Bible, when Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego are thrown
      > in the fire, when then clothes they are wearing is referred to, their "hosen" are
      > mentioned.

      Okay, actually looked it up somewhere (www.dictionary.com, to be precise):

      hosen

      \Ho"sen\, n. pl. See Hose. [Archaic]
      Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

      Hose \Hose\ (h[=o]z), n.; pl. Hose, formerly Hosen (h[=o]"z'n). [AS. hose;
      akin to D. hoos, G. hose breeches, OHG. hosa, Icel. hosa stocking, gather,
      Dan. hose stocking; cf. Russ. koshulia a fur jacket.] 1. Close-fitting
      trousers or breeches, as formerly worn, reaching to the knee.

      These men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and
      their other garments. --Dan. iii. 21.

      His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide For his shrunk shank.
      --Shak.
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:37:13 -0600 (CST), Sarah Michele Ford
        <sarah@...> wrote:

        >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Lena Strid wrote:
        >
        >> Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
        >> singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.
        >
        >No clue. See above for my anglo-centric theory. Anyone got the OED lying
        >around handy?

        Kind of. QPB/BOMC has an agreement with the online OED which allows
        members to access the online OED at no charge.

        I. 1. a. An article of clothing for the leg; sometimes reaching
        down only to the ankle as a legging or gaiter, sometimes also covering
        the foot like a long stocking. (a) sing. Obs.

        (b) pl. hosen, arch. or dial.; hoses, obs. Sense as in (c).

        (c) collect. pl. hose. In mod. use = Stockings reaching to the knee.
        half-hose, short stockings or socks.
        From hose (as if = hoes), a false sing. ho, stocking, is found in
        Sc.

        2. Sometimes an article of clothing for the legs and loins, =
        breeches, drawers; esp. in phrase DOUBLET and hose, as the typical
        male apparel. a. Usually in pl., hosen, hoses, hose, also (with
        reference to its original divided state) a pair of hose.

        I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
        would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
        to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
        considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
        plural.

        jenn
        --
        Jenn Ridley
        jridley@...
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steven Proctor wrote:

          > ...if she's making hose, does that make her a hoser...?

          Listen here, you... don't make me come down to your Barony and whup up on
          your fencers for that...

          (see you tomorrow!)

          Alianor

          Sarah Michele Ford
          /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
          Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
          reality is but an exception.
          --Jean Baudrillard
          \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
            On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:

            > I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
            > would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
            > to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
            > considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
            > plural.

            Obsolete or archaic?

            Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
            med-i-ae-val ;)

            -Ii
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
              > On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steven Proctor wrote:
              >
              > > ...if she's making hose, does that make her a hoser...?
              >
              > Listen here, you... don't make me come down to your Barony and whup
              up on
              > your fencers for that...

              Take off, eh?

              Jehanne de McKenzie
            • Lena Strid
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                Jenn wrote:

                > I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                plural.

                Well, that would explain it. I do recall to have heard hosen somewhere, but could not
                place it. (And hoses just sounds too wierd...)

                Thanks!

                Lena

                Bättre börda på vägen man ej bär än mycket mannavett.
                - Nä, men lite guld, silver, smaragder, vita särkar, öl, vin och en och annan galt är inte
                heller så dumt!

                http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
              • Jenn Ridley
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                  On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:51:05 -0900 (AKST), Ii Saburou
                  <logan@...> wrote:

                  >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:
                  >
                  >> I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                  >> would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                  >> to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                  >> considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                  >> plural.
                  >
                  >Obsolete or archaic?
                  yes.

                  Under one sub-definition, 'hose' as singular is labeled obs, while
                  under the other, 'hosen' as plural is labeled arch Take your pick....

                  >Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
                  >med-i-ae-val ;)
                  There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
                  archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
                  figure it out....

                  jenn
                  --
                  Jenn Ridley
                  jridley@...
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                    In German, Hosen is plural, Hose is singular. Now, remember pronunciation"
                    Hoe-sen, and Hoe-suh (roughly). :>P

                    Gerita

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                      Jenn wrote:
                      > There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
                      > archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
                      > figure it out....

                      I think "archaic" means "old-fashioned" whereas "obsolete" means "not
                      used anymore". So an archaic term can be used, though it would sound
                      funny to most people, whereas an obsolete word is no longer part of the
                      language.

                      Yours,

                      Katherine

                      katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/