Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: What's the singular of hose?

  • GR Auklandus
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
      --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Sarah Michele Ford wrote:
      >
      > > Without knowing the etymology of either, and when I'm not being silly, I
      > > actually categorize "hose" with "pants" - things that always come in
      > > pairs. ;^) Just like there's not an English singular of "pants" I'd say
      > > there's not really one of "hose" either. What I really have is half of a
      > > pair of hose.
      >
      > But you do say 'a pant leg', right? So there IS a singular, just not
      > often used.
      Nope. You say "pants leg."

      > Also, I've heard 'hosen'--is that just the German plural?
      >
      > -Ii
      Again, no.

      In the King James Version of the Bible, when Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego are thrown
      in the fire, when then clothes they are wearing is referred to, their "hosen" are
      mentioned.

      Gaius
      Who doesn't know why he remembers this...

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, GR Auklandus wrote:

        > > Also, I've heard 'hosen'--is that just the German plural?
        > >
        > > -Ii
        > Again, no.
        >
        > In the King James Version of the Bible, when Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego are thrown
        > in the fire, when then clothes they are wearing is referred to, their "hosen" are
        > mentioned.

        Okay, actually looked it up somewhere (www.dictionary.com, to be precise):

        hosen

        \Ho"sen\, n. pl. See Hose. [Archaic]
        Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

        Hose \Hose\ (h[=o]z), n.; pl. Hose, formerly Hosen (h[=o]"z'n). [AS. hose;
        akin to D. hoos, G. hose breeches, OHG. hosa, Icel. hosa stocking, gather,
        Dan. hose stocking; cf. Russ. koshulia a fur jacket.] 1. Close-fitting
        trousers or breeches, as formerly worn, reaching to the knee.

        These men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and
        their other garments. --Dan. iii. 21.

        His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide For his shrunk shank.
        --Shak.
      • Jenn Ridley
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:37:13 -0600 (CST), Sarah Michele Ford
          <sarah@...> wrote:

          >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Lena Strid wrote:
          >
          >> Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
          >> singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.
          >
          >No clue. See above for my anglo-centric theory. Anyone got the OED lying
          >around handy?

          Kind of. QPB/BOMC has an agreement with the online OED which allows
          members to access the online OED at no charge.

          I. 1. a. An article of clothing for the leg; sometimes reaching
          down only to the ankle as a legging or gaiter, sometimes also covering
          the foot like a long stocking. (a) sing. Obs.

          (b) pl. hosen, arch. or dial.; hoses, obs. Sense as in (c).

          (c) collect. pl. hose. In mod. use = Stockings reaching to the knee.
          half-hose, short stockings or socks.
          From hose (as if = hoes), a false sing. ho, stocking, is found in
          Sc.

          2. Sometimes an article of clothing for the legs and loins, =
          breeches, drawers; esp. in phrase DOUBLET and hose, as the typical
          male apparel. a. Usually in pl., hosen, hoses, hose, also (with
          reference to its original divided state) a pair of hose.

          I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
          would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
          to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
          considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
          plural.

          jenn
          --
          Jenn Ridley
          jridley@...
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
            On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steven Proctor wrote:

            > ...if she's making hose, does that make her a hoser...?

            Listen here, you... don't make me come down to your Barony and whup up on
            your fencers for that...

            (see you tomorrow!)

            Alianor

            Sarah Michele Ford
            /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
            Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
            reality is but an exception.
            --Jean Baudrillard
            \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
              On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:

              > I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
              > would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
              > to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
              > considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
              > plural.

              Obsolete or archaic?

              Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
              med-i-ae-val ;)

              -Ii
            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
                > On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steven Proctor wrote:
                >
                > > ...if she's making hose, does that make her a hoser...?
                >
                > Listen here, you... don't make me come down to your Barony and whup
                up on
                > your fencers for that...

                Take off, eh?

                Jehanne de McKenzie
              • Lena Strid
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Jenn wrote:

                  > I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                  would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                  to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                  considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                  plural.

                  Well, that would explain it. I do recall to have heard hosen somewhere, but could not
                  place it. (And hoses just sounds too wierd...)

                  Thanks!

                  Lena

                  Bättre börda på vägen man ej bär än mycket mannavett.
                  - Nä, men lite guld, silver, smaragder, vita särkar, öl, vin och en och annan galt är inte
                  heller så dumt!

                  http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
                • Jenn Ridley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                    On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:51:05 -0900 (AKST), Ii Saburou
                    <logan@...> wrote:

                    >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:
                    >
                    >> I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                    >> would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                    >> to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                    >> considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                    >> plural.
                    >
                    >Obsolete or archaic?
                    yes.

                    Under one sub-definition, 'hose' as singular is labeled obs, while
                    under the other, 'hosen' as plural is labeled arch Take your pick....

                    >Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
                    >med-i-ae-val ;)
                    There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
                    archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
                    figure it out....

                    jenn
                    --
                    Jenn Ridley
                    jridley@...
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                      In German, Hosen is plural, Hose is singular. Now, remember pronunciation"
                      Hoe-sen, and Hoe-suh (roughly). :>P

                      Gerita

                      > > > I'm going with "ho" just because it's funny. And that's what I've
                      got -
                      > > half of a pair of hose.
                      > >
                      > > I always assumed that hose was the singular (and plural unknown).
                      > > Perhaps that's because I think in swedish terms: singular: hosa,
                      > > plural: hosor.
                      >
                      > Without knowing the etymology of either, and when I'm not being silly, I
                      > actually categorize "hose" with "pants" - things that always come in
                      > pairs. ;^) Just like there's not an English singular of "pants" I'd say
                      > there's not really one of "hose" either. What I really have is half of a
                      > pair of hose.
                      >
                      > > Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
                      > > singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.
                      >
                      > No clue. See above for my anglo-centric theory. Anyone got the OED lying
                      > around handy?
                      >
                      > Alianor, who didn't really mean to start a linguistic discussion but isn't
                      > complaining
                      >
                      > Sarah Michele Ford
                      > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                      > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                      > reality is but an exception.
                      > --Jean Baudrillard
                      > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

                    • Kirrily Robert
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                        Jenn wrote:
                        > There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
                        > archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
                        > figure it out....

                        I think "archaic" means "old-fashioned" whereas "obsolete" means "not
                        used anymore". So an archaic term can be used, though it would sound
                        funny to most people, whereas an obsolete word is no longer part of the
                        language.

                        Yours,

                        Katherine

                        katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/