Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: What's the singular of hose?

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Lena Strid wrote:

      > Sarah wrote:
      >
      > > I'm going with "ho" just because it's funny. And that's what I've got -
      > half of a pair of hose.
      >
      > I always assumed that hose was the singular (and plural unknown).
      > Perhaps that's because I think in swedish terms: singular: hosa,
      > plural: hosor.

      Without knowing the etymology of either, and when I'm not being silly, I
      actually categorize "hose" with "pants" - things that always come in
      pairs. ;^) Just like there's not an English singular of "pants" I'd say
      there's not really one of "hose" either. What I really have is half of a
      pair of hose.

      > Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
      > singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.

      No clue. See above for my anglo-centric theory. Anyone got the OED lying
      around handy?

      Alianor, who didn't really mean to start a linguistic discussion but isn't
      complaining

      Sarah Michele Ford
      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
      Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
      reality is but an exception.
      --Jean Baudrillard
      \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    • Steven Proctor
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        It appears that 'Hose' is both the singular *and* the plural...

        From the Merriam Webster Online (www.m-w.com

        Main Entry: hose
        Pronunciation: 'hOz
        Function: noun
        Inflected Form(s): plural hose or hos·es
        Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hosa stocking, husk; akin
        to Old High German hosa leg covering
        Date: before 12th century
        1 plural hose a (1) : a cloth leg covering that sometimes covers the
        foot (2) : STOCKING, SOCK b (1) : a close-fitting garment covering the
        legs and waist that is usually attached to a doublet by points (2) : short
        breeches reaching to the knee

        Ta

        Adhemar
        ...if she's making hose, does that make her a hoser...?

        Lena Strid wrote:

        > Sarah wrote:
        >
        > > I'm going with "ho" just because it's funny. And that's what I've got -
        > half of a pair of hose.
        >
        > I always assumed that hose was the singular (and plural unknown).
        > Perhaps that's because I think in swedish terms: singular: hosa,
        > plural: hosor.
        >
        > Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
        > singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.
        >
        > Lena
        >
        > Bättre börda på vägen man ej bär än mycket mannavett.
        > - Nä, men lite guld, silver, smaragder, vita särkar, öl, vin och en och
        > annan galt är inte heller så dumt!
        >
        > --

        Having opened my 40th birthday present from my husband - a kitchen window fan
        - and now on my way to the bakery to pick up my cake, I started thinking:
        What if I get hit in this intersection, and, struck with amnesia, I hobble to
        the edge of the highway, hungry and confused, and am picked up by a lonely
        trucker headed for McDonald's and since I have no memory, I've forgotten I
        hate McDonald's, so I hop in, and he - just thankful for the company -
        figures I'm a middle aged housewife looking for love in all the wrong places
        and he's got several of them?

        GH/TW$ d+@ s:++ a C+ W++ N++ K- w+ M- PS+ PE Y+ t- 5++ X R+@ tv- b+++@ DI++ D
        G e h r* y*** y++ k++ !f X+
      • Ariane Helou
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          Lena wrote:
          >Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
          >singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.

          I seem to recall that the plural might be "hosen" and the singular "hose" -
          and then "hose" got adapted as singular because since it ends in "s" it
          kinda sounds plural already. I read something similar regarding "peas" -
          apparently, there was no such thing as a single "pea" until relatively
          recently; you had a single "pease" or several "peasen." Of course, I could
          be totally mis-remembering this (heck, I could even be making it up and
          only thinking I remember, considering how *not* awake my brain is right
          now... :-/). Anyone wanna verify or debunk my theory, please?

          Vittoria
          still suffering the aftereffects of the Halloween festivities...
          ------------------------------------
          "I shall find antiquity a rewarding study, if only because, while I am
          absorbed in it, I shall be able to turn my eyes from the troubles which
          have for so long tormented the modern world..."
          -- Livy, "History of Rome"
        • GR Auklandus
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
            --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Sarah Michele Ford wrote:
            >
            > > Without knowing the etymology of either, and when I'm not being silly, I
            > > actually categorize "hose" with "pants" - things that always come in
            > > pairs. ;^) Just like there's not an English singular of "pants" I'd say
            > > there's not really one of "hose" either. What I really have is half of a
            > > pair of hose.
            >
            > But you do say 'a pant leg', right? So there IS a singular, just not
            > often used.
            Nope. You say "pants leg."

            > Also, I've heard 'hosen'--is that just the German plural?
            >
            > -Ii
            Again, no.

            In the King James Version of the Bible, when Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego are thrown
            in the fire, when then clothes they are wearing is referred to, their "hosen" are
            mentioned.

            Gaius
            Who doesn't know why he remembers this...

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, GR Auklandus wrote:

                > > Also, I've heard 'hosen'--is that just the German plural?
                > >
                > > -Ii
                > Again, no.
                >
                > In the King James Version of the Bible, when Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego are thrown
                > in the fire, when then clothes they are wearing is referred to, their "hosen" are
                > mentioned.

                Okay, actually looked it up somewhere (www.dictionary.com, to be precise):

                hosen

                \Ho"sen\, n. pl. See Hose. [Archaic]
                Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

                Hose \Hose\ (h[=o]z), n.; pl. Hose, formerly Hosen (h[=o]"z'n). [AS. hose;
                akin to D. hoos, G. hose breeches, OHG. hosa, Icel. hosa stocking, gather,
                Dan. hose stocking; cf. Russ. koshulia a fur jacket.] 1. Close-fitting
                trousers or breeches, as formerly worn, reaching to the knee.

                These men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and
                their other garments. --Dan. iii. 21.

                His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide For his shrunk shank.
                --Shak.
              • Jenn Ridley
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                  On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:37:13 -0600 (CST), Sarah Michele Ford
                  <sarah@...> wrote:

                  >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Lena Strid wrote:
                  >
                  >> Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
                  >> singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.
                  >
                  >No clue. See above for my anglo-centric theory. Anyone got the OED lying
                  >around handy?

                  Kind of. QPB/BOMC has an agreement with the online OED which allows
                  members to access the online OED at no charge.

                  I. 1. a. An article of clothing for the leg; sometimes reaching
                  down only to the ankle as a legging or gaiter, sometimes also covering
                  the foot like a long stocking. (a) sing. Obs.

                  (b) pl. hosen, arch. or dial.; hoses, obs. Sense as in (c).

                  (c) collect. pl. hose. In mod. use = Stockings reaching to the knee.
                  half-hose, short stockings or socks.
                  From hose (as if = hoes), a false sing. ho, stocking, is found in
                  Sc.

                  2. Sometimes an article of clothing for the legs and loins, =
                  breeches, drawers; esp. in phrase DOUBLET and hose, as the typical
                  male apparel. a. Usually in pl., hosen, hoses, hose, also (with
                  reference to its original divided state) a pair of hose.

                  I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                  would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                  to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                  considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                  plural.

                  jenn
                  --
                  Jenn Ridley
                  jridley@...
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                    On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steven Proctor wrote:

                    > ...if she's making hose, does that make her a hoser...?

                    Listen here, you... don't make me come down to your Barony and whup up on
                    your fencers for that...

                    (see you tomorrow!)

                    Alianor

                    Sarah Michele Ford
                    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                      On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:

                      > I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                      > would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                      > to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                      > considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                      > plural.

                      Obsolete or archaic?

                      Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
                      med-i-ae-val ;)

                      -Ii
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
                        > On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steven Proctor wrote:
                        >
                        > > ...if she's making hose, does that make her a hoser...?
                        >
                        > Listen here, you... don't make me come down to your Barony and whup
                        up on
                        > your fencers for that...

                        Take off, eh?

                        Jehanne de McKenzie
                      • Lena Strid
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                          Jenn wrote:

                          > I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                          would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                          to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                          considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                          plural.

                          Well, that would explain it. I do recall to have heard hosen somewhere, but could not
                          place it. (And hoses just sounds too wierd...)

                          Thanks!

                          Lena

                          Bättre börda på vägen man ej bär än mycket mannavett.
                          - Nä, men lite guld, silver, smaragder, vita särkar, öl, vin och en och annan galt är inte
                          heller så dumt!

                          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
                        • Jenn Ridley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                            On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:51:05 -0900 (AKST), Ii Saburou
                            <logan@...> wrote:

                            >On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jenn Ridley wrote:
                            >
                            >> I left out the literary references (there's a bunch of 'em, and it
                            >> would make this much too long). From what I can figure out, hose used
                            >> to be singular, with hosen is the plural, but that particular usage is
                            >> considered obsolete, and in current usage hose is both singular and
                            >> plural.
                            >
                            >Obsolete or archaic?
                            yes.

                            Under one sub-definition, 'hose' as singular is labeled obs, while
                            under the other, 'hosen' as plural is labeled arch Take your pick....

                            >Sounds like it could get into whether you say mid-e-vil, med-i-e-val, or
                            >med-i-ae-val ;)
                            There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
                            archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
                            figure it out....

                            jenn
                            --
                            Jenn Ridley
                            jridley@...
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                              In German, Hosen is plural, Hose is singular. Now, remember pronunciation"
                              Hoe-sen, and Hoe-suh (roughly). :>P

                              Gerita

                              > > > I'm going with "ho" just because it's funny. And that's what I've
                              got -
                              > > half of a pair of hose.
                              > >
                              > > I always assumed that hose was the singular (and plural unknown).
                              > > Perhaps that's because I think in swedish terms: singular: hosa,
                              > > plural: hosor.
                              >
                              > Without knowing the etymology of either, and when I'm not being silly, I
                              > actually categorize "hose" with "pants" - things that always come in
                              > pairs. ;^) Just like there's not an English singular of "pants" I'd say
                              > there's not really one of "hose" either. What I really have is half of a
                              > pair of hose.
                              >
                              > > Does anyone here have a clue whether hose is the plural or the
                              > > singular? And also, what the singular/plural then would be.
                              >
                              > No clue. See above for my anglo-centric theory. Anyone got the OED lying
                              > around handy?
                              >
                              > Alianor, who didn't really mean to start a linguistic discussion but isn't
                              > complaining
                              >
                              > Sarah Michele Ford
                              > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                              > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                              > reality is but an exception.
                              > --Jean Baudrillard
                              > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

                            • Kirrily Robert
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                                Jenn wrote:
                                > There's probably a difference in terminology between obsolete and
                                > archaic, but I don't feel like digging through the Guide to the OED to
                                > figure it out....

                                I think "archaic" means "old-fashioned" whereas "obsolete" means "not
                                used anymore". So an archaic term can be used, though it would sound
                                funny to most people, whereas an obsolete word is no longer part of the
                                language.

                                Yours,

                                Katherine

                                katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/