Wild roses

  • Brooke Revere
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2002
      A few days ago I harvested the rosehips from the wild rose in the front
      yard. I was amazed at how many one bush can produce (about two cups
      fresh).

      I split each hip with a knife and scraped out the seeds. They're now by
      the fireplace drying, and looking for all the world like dried cherries.

      Does anyone know what rose hips were used for in period? Were they used
      as a food or a medicine?

      Here is a picture of the rosehips before I harvested them:
      http://photos.ladybrooke.com/photoaday/200209/22.htm

      Adele de la Fontane