Re: [Authentic_SCA] Kamakura

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2000
      Oh, wow! I recently was raving about the cool people I've met/heard about
      on-line to some other SCAdians (I was explaining why I feel like the SCA is
      cooler when reading/talking to people about it on-line than when I'm
      actually at events ;)) and you and your friend were certainly at the top of
      the list!

      Thanks, Moshe. You do our hearts good.

      Why doesn't Master Edward have a Japanese persona? ;) Or does he?

      He does. He just had this one for so long that he is afraid to start
      calling himself something else for fear no one would know him.

      Yes! thank you very much for putting that up there. I'm going to go
      looking for some hemp fabric sometime soon and try my hand at some sashiko
      quilting...Is hemp terribly expensive?

      Hemp is terribly expensive since it's not allowed to be grown in the US. It
      often exceeds $18 a yard (more than silk!). I would suggest using linen as
      a substitute. It looks very similar and is from a similar plant. Go to
      fabrics-store.com for great prices. Also, since silk can sometimes be had
      for $6 a yard, try silkconnection.com. Just avoid making things out of silk
      noil (aka "raw silk"). It's not period and it tends to fall apart.

      By the way, sashiko quilting started in the 18th century. But if you're
      doing it for non-SCA purposes, go right ahead.

      Thanks also for the name hints...I'm at a university so I have access to a
      great library as well as some great faculty...I suppose I should take
      advantage of that. ;) I've definitely done it with medieval music, so names
      and costumes are next on my list.

      Good for you!

      Kass/Fujiwara
    • Stephen Higa
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2000
        > Hemp is terribly expensive since it's not allowed to be grown in the US. It
        > often exceeds $18 a yard (more than silk!). I would suggest using linen as
        > a substitute. It looks very similar and is from a similar plant. Go to
        > fabrics-store.com for great prices. Also, since silk can sometimes be had
        > for $6 a yard, try silkconnection.com. Just avoid making things out of silk
        > noil (aka "raw silk"). It's not period and it tends to fall apart.

        Okay, thanks...

        > By the way, sashiko quilting started in the 18th century. But if you're
        > doing it for non-SCA purposes, go right ahead.

        Oh, really? I don't mean the patterned kind, but the utilitarian straight
        kind for repairing garments...would that be period? If not, how would the
        non-nobility have repaired their old clothes? I love the look of
        well-wornedness (not a word, but then again, I don't speak these Western
        tongues so well ;)). With my Jewish garb, I have tried to get the same
        "worn look" you see in National Geographic pictures of Middle-Easterners...

        Moshe
        Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
        Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.
        "Miseravle! Porqué vienes agora