new book on Greenland textiles!!

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2002
      Ingvild said I could pass this along. *grin* I know some of you will be
      thrilled to hear this...
      Smiles, Despina

      >I have just heard from Else Oestergaard that she has a new book coming out
      >soon on the Norse textiles from Greenland. Titled "Woven Into the Past:
      >Textile Finds from Norse Greenland", the Danish version will be out
      >sometime after Christmas with the English version appearing later.
      >
      >To further whet your appetite, Karen Finch just told me that Else has made
      >"a particular study of the seams, including why they are different in
      >different places. Pre-sewing machine seams each serves a different purpose."
      >
      >I will let you know more information as I receive it.
      >
      >Ingvild
      >
      >Ingvild Josefsdatter, OL
      >(Nancy Spies)
      >Barony of Bright Hills
      >Kingdom of Atlantia
      >www.weavershand.com/ArelateStudio.html ---
    • Gwendoline Rosamond
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
        I realize this is very late - I sorting through this mass of unread
        email. Anyway this is the book I mentioned awhile back. The problem with
        the English version is Dr. Oestergaard is having trouble getting the
        funding for the English translation which despite previous rumors keeps
        getting set back. When the book is published in English it is planned to
        be a limited edition run of 700. Also, I have heard from a different
        source closely involved with Dr. Oestergaard that the title listed below is
        is actually incorrect. I have managed to forget what is but I will pass it
        along when I have the info IIRC it is something like "Woven from the Earth:
        Textile Finds from Norse Greenland." As soon as it goes to print in
        English I will let you all know. : )

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline