Italian Ren gown help

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
      > Greetings,
      > I'm trying to finish up the hem on an Italian
      > Renaissance gown, and was wondering if I could make
      > train, and if so how long? I know we don't have a
      > lot
      > of portraits showing the bottom of a gown, so it
      > could
      > be hard to find evidence of a train one way or the
      > other.
      > I was also wondering, for a gown with a front
      > closure, would it have just been laced, or might
      > there
      > be some kind of hook-and-eye on the inside, or even
      > decorative metal clasps on the outside?
      > BTW, the style of Italian Ren gown I am speaking of
      > is often referred to as the "Ever After"
      > gown.
      > Sorry for the cross-post.
      > your humble servant,
      > Isobel

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
        Which view did you make?  A, B, or C?

        Apollonia
        >  I'm trying to finish up the hem on an Italian
        > Renaissance gown, and was wondering if I could make
        > train, and if so how long? I know we don't have a
        > lot
        > of portraits showing the bottom of a gown, so it
        > could
        > be hard to find evidence of a train one way or the
        > other.
        >  I was also wondering, for a gown with a front
        > closure, would it have just been laced, or might
        > there
        > be some kind of hook-and-eye on the inside, or even
        > decorative metal clasps on the outside?
        >  BTW, the style of Italian Ren gown I am speaking of
        > is often referred to as the "Ever After"
        > gown.
        >  Sorry for the cross-post.
        >  your humble servant,
        >  Isobel

      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
          Well, I didn't make it. I sent off fabric to a
          costumer to do for me as I am currently in the middle
          of about 6 other projects. Although the gown I got
          back is very pretty, it is *so* not what I had
          envisioned.
          I thought I'd get a gown that laced closed in the
          back, with a closed skirt. What I got is an open front
          gown with three metal clasps to close it. There are
          also darts in the bust, which I believe is wrong, no?
          She also put a really long train on it, longer than I
          wanted.
          I do not have the heat tolerance to wear another gown
          between this one and my chemise, as I really should.
          I'm cheating by wearing a chemise with embroidered
          trim down the front, to give the illusion (I hope) of
          another gown. And I'm trying to decide how much of the
          train to lop off.
          Again, the gown is still very nice to look at, just
          not as accurate as I had hoped for. Any suggestions?
          yours,
          Isobel

          --- Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
          <apollonia@...> wrote:
          > Which view did you make? A, B, or C?
          >
          > Apollonia

          & More
          > http://faith.yahoo.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo!

          http://faith.yahoo.com
        • marshamclean@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
[...]

              &lt;apollonia@...&gt; wrote:
              &gt; Which view did you make?  A, B, or C?
              &gt;
              &gt; Apollonia
              &gt;   ----- Original Message -----
              &gt;   From: Elizabeth
              &gt;   To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
              &gt;   Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 11:04 AM
              &gt;   Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Italian Ren gown help
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;   &gt; Greetings,
              &gt;   &gt;  I'm trying to finish up the hem on an
              Italian
              &gt;   &gt; Renaissance gown, and was wondering if I
              could
              &gt; make
              &gt;   &gt; a
              &gt;   &gt; train, and if so how long? I know we don't
              have
              &gt; a
              &gt;   &gt; lot
              &gt;   &gt; of portraits showing the bottom of a gown,
              so it
              &gt;   &gt; could
              &gt;   &gt; be hard to find evidence of a train one
              way or
              &gt; the
              &gt;   &gt; other.
              &gt;   &gt;  I was also wondering, for a gown with a
              front
              &gt;   &gt; closure, would it have just been laced, or
              might
              &gt;   &gt; there
              &gt;   &gt; be some kind of hook-and-eye on the
              inside, or
              &gt; even
              &gt;   &gt; decorative metal clasps on the outside?
              &gt;   &gt;  BTW, the style of Italian Ren gown I am
              &gt; speaking of
              &gt;   &gt; is often referred to as the &#34;Ever
              After&#34;
              &gt;   &gt; gown.
              &gt;   &gt;  Sorry for the cross-post.
              &gt;   &gt;  your humble servant,
              &gt;   &gt;  Isobel
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;   Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos
              &amp; More
              &gt;   http://faith.yahoo.com
              &gt;
              &gt;         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              &gt;               ADVERTISEMENT
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;
              &gt;
              Yahoo!
              &gt; Terms of Service.
              &gt;
              &gt;

            • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
                It sounds like she made you a late 1460's - 1500 overdress.  Can you stitch the skirt up the front, to make it a closed skirt?  Long trains were period, it's all a matter of preference...  Does the gown have sleeves with it?  You can always put hook and eyes between the claps, if this is a rush job...

                Apollonia