Re: [Authentic_SCA] Papier-mache?

  • Dianne and Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
      I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at events.
      I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could participate!

      Laurensa
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
        In lists.sca.authentic.authentic-sca, you wrote:
        > Katherine, I said that the words I learned were different but the TUNE I
        > learned was almost the same.
        >
        > Those are in fact the same words I learned in school.

        Uh, they don't fit together as I read it... but perhaps I'm just being
        thick. Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
        we?

        Yours,

        Katherine

        katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
      • rose@santiagosmagic.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
          You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
          have a whole lot of room.

          I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
          mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
          little bottles of Elmers Glue. You could try doing papier mache or plaster
          bandage, but they're both messy and there'd be no guarantee the masks would be
          dry and wearable by evening.

          We did this as an all-day workshop at kingdom A&S this summer, and just charged
          everybody $2 to come in and make up their own mask. It was such a hit, that we
          were cutting extra mask blanks out of paper plates just to have enough to go
          around.

          I have also found some references to period masks made of buckram, but so far I
          haven't had good results when I've tried it. More experimentation is required.

          Rose

          Quoting Cindy <crma@...>:
          > I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
          > children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
          > some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
          > there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
          > younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
          > last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
          > so I don't know how much space we will have.
          >
          > Adelheid

          -=-=-=-

          food. shelter. clothing. net. Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc
        • Jenn Ridley
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
            On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:02:28 -0700, rose@... wrote:

            >You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
            >have a whole lot of room.
            >
            >I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
            >mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
            >little bottles of Elmers Glue.

            If you're going to use the plastic mask blanks, don't use Elmer's.
            Use a craft glue (JoAnn's makes one, Aleene's Tacky glue is another).
            Elmer's is fine for paper, but it doesn't have enough tack to *hold*
            things onto a plastic mask....

            jenn
            --
            Jenn Ridley
            jridley@...
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Kirrily Robert <skud@i...> wrote:
              > Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
              > we?

              Just wanted to mention that the modern tune for "Three Blind Mice"
              was used as theme music for the Three Stooges. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

              Jehanne
            • borderlands15213
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                Laurensa,
                Hasn't your kingdom, which for some reason sticks in my mind as being
                East (sorry if I've got that wrong!), a Children's Ministry? Your
                Kingdom Minister of Children should be able to give you some info, or
                refer you to your regional minister, no?
                I vaguely, dimly recall a request being made at local meetings for
                gentles to contribute shoe boxes, which were to be used as bricks or
                stones to make a castle or fort (to my local MoC: ***really*** sorry
                if I'm misremembering!! Forgive me!) during one event. Mmm, think
                they had to be painted, or covered in paper or something. I more
                clearly recall working with children at one demo, where they were
                able to make hand puppets or small dolls, dressing them (very, very
                approximately, believe me, usually gluing the pieces of "clothing" on
                with Elmer's *school* glue or a fabric glue) in more or less 'period'
                styles. One young lady did me the honor of dressing her little
                poppet in her interpretation of my garb. Sorry I can't recall how
                the heads were made, but I seem to remember they were just a piece of
                cloth stuffed with fabric scraps and tied off, wrapping the cord to
                make a neck.
                I very clearly recall being at Red Dragon, an annual event in
                Tirnewydd here in the Middle, when the children made a dragon, like
                the Chinese dragons seen at Chinese New Year's celebrations. This
                dragon was red, of course, and the kids got under its body and
                paraded it all around the site, with drums and cymbals going
                before.... I hope they had fun with it, because it was great for the
                adults who were watching!
                I know our own local Minister of Children is on list, and I'm
                guessing isn't the only MoC here, so perhaps one of those individuals
                who has had lots of good experiences in planning and directing
                Children's Activities, will be kind enough to share some suggestions,
                especially more meritorious ones....

                Yseult

                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Dianne and Greg Stucki" <goofy1@s...>
                wrote:
                > I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at
                events.
                > I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could
                participate!

                > Laurensa

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • borderlands15213
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                  Oops, sorry! Apologies to the list if the activities recalled aren't
                  correct for period! But the kids *did* seem to have had a good time
                  from what I could see.

                  wrote:
                  > I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at
                  events.
                  > I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could
                  participate!

                  > Laurensa

                  <<<snipped original message and earlier replies>>>