Book question

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
      While I was looking at Amazon for a different book I saw this one :
      English Medieval Industries: Craftsmen, Techniques, Products by John
      Blair and Nigel Ramsay
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1852853263/qid=1033582572/
      sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/104-8650616-7751913?v=glance

      Has anyone seen this book? Their description makes it sound like a
      wonderful resource but then they always do...

      Thanks
      Adelheid
    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
        At 12:11 PM -0700 10/2/02, Cindy wrote:
        >While I was looking at Amazon for a different book I saw this one :
        >English Medieval Industries: Craftsmen, Techniques, Products by John
        >Blair and Nigel Ramsay
        >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1852853263/qid=1033582572/
        >sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/104-8650616-7751913?v=glance
        >
        >Has anyone seen this book? Their description makes it sound like a
        >wonderful resource but then they always do...

        Great book -- very informative and scholarly. Many pictures and
        drawings of artifacts. Buy this book.

        Tangwystyl
        --
        *****
        Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
          Greetings!
          Sorry for the cross-post, but DH is trying to order these books, and i'd like to gather some opinions before the mailman gets here, please:

          The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Costume and Fashion, Revised Edition: From 1066 to the Present.  By Jack Cassin-Scott.

          and

          Dress and Decoration of teh middle Ages by Henry Shaw.

          Anyone have any experience of these two?
          Thanks
          Gerita
        • Arianne de Chateaumichel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
            Gerita wrote:

            >The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Costume and Fashion, Revised Edition: From 1066
            to the Present. By Jack Cassin-Scott.
            Dress and Decoration of the middle Ages by Henry Shaw.

            >Anyone have any experience of these two?

            I haven't seen the other book, but the Cassin-Scott book is a coffee-table book, no
            more. My husband bought it for me, and while I certainly appreciate the thought, I
            wouldn't dream of using the book! It starts in 1066, giving over a grand total of 21 pages
            (mostly 16th century) to our period, with the other 9/10ths of the book devoted to much
            later fashions. Worse yet, the artwork seems to be a colourized version of Braun &
            Schneider and the like, with many details missing or simply wrong. Glancing through, I
            find his 14th century dandy wearing knee-garters, incorrectly identified in the blurb as
            chains for holding up his shoe tips. Garters or shoe-chains, however, they must be
            merely tacked on to his hose, as they consist only of the bow and dangly bit! He's
            listed as wearing a "houppelande or PELICAN" (my emphasis). His lady is wearing a
            hat I've only seen in the 15th century, a big gaudy necklace, and her undergown is
            called a "cotehardie". Without getting into whether this term was ever actually applied
            to women's clothes, I think everyone agrees it was a top layer, a type of surcote
            (sur-cote, a garment meant to be worn over the cote, or first fashion layer).

            I hope your husband hasn't ordered this book yet!

            Your Servant,
            Lady Arianne de Chateaumichel

            Shire of Starhaven,
            Kingdom of Trimaris