Papier-mache?

  • Talia Margherita
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
      I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if papier-mache is a documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.

      Talia
    • rose@santiagosmagic.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
        It depends on what kind of masks you want to make. Theatrical masks,
        especially for the chorus, were usually made of cardboard or papier mache.
        They had to be produced quickly, cheaply and in bulk. Fabric and felt masks
        were also common.

        Leather masks are more durable, and more difficult to produce. They're not
        disposable, so they wouldn't invest the time and money into making one that
        wasn't going to be worn frequently, i.e., for commedia performances.

        Unfortunately, the big, flashy, sequined and feathered Mardi Gras confections
        don't start showing up until the mid- to late 17th century.

        The problem is you're going to find lots and lots of references to masks in
        theater and ritual, and plenty of laws banning them. In certain times and
        locations, it was illegal to wear a mask around Christmas, because (supposedly)
        the anonymity increased criminal activity. So while you'll be able to find
        mention of masks, there is really very little pictoral evidence to know what
        the masks looked like or how they were made, or even written descriptions.
        Most of the surviving masks from our period are ritual items -- animal totems
        and grotesques. There is one slightly-post period Arlecchino mask still in
        existence.

        To generalize, if you're looking for earlier period, northern European masks,
        you're looking at masks made of fabric, fur or felt, and usually an animal or
        monster face. If you're looking at later period, southern European, you're
        looking at paper or molded leather, and more human-looking faces.

        Let me know if I can be more help,
        Rose

        Quoting Talia Margherita <khanson@...>:

        > I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if papier-mache is a
        > documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Talia

        -=-=-=-

        food. shelter. clothing. net. Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc
      • Melaena
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
          This is exactly the same version I have.

          Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
          learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my opinion,
          constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".

          Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk music
          today.

          Margareta

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
            Hi.......

            I think you might have me confused with someone else. Hope you find her!

            Margareta vanden Velde
            Montengarde, Avacal, An Tir

            formerly of Roxbury Mill, Atlantia

            formerly of Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
              Margareta wrote:
              > This is exactly the same version I have.
              >
              > Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
              > learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my opinion,
              > constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".
              >
              > Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk music
              > today.

              Wow, really? The one I learnt as a kid went:

              Three blind mice, three blind mice
              See how they run, see how they run
              They all ran up to the farmer's wife
              She cut off their tails with a carving knife
              Did you ever see such a thing in your life
              As three blind mice

              I think it's really cool that you learnt the older version at school!

              Yours,

              Katherine

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                Katherine, I said that the words I learned were different but the TUNE I
                learned was almost the same.

                Those are in fact the same words I learned in school.

                Margareta

                > > This is exactly the same version I have.
                > >
                > > Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
                > > learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my
                opinion,
                > > constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".
                > >
                > > Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk
                music
                > > today.
                >
                > Wow, really? The one I learnt as a kid went:
                >
                > Three blind mice, three blind mice
                > See how they run, see how they run
                > They all ran up to the farmer's wife
                > She cut off their tails with a carving knife
                > Did you ever see such a thing in your life
                > As three blind mice
                >
                > I think it's really cool that you learnt the older version at school!
                >
                > Yours,
                >
                > Katherine
                >
                > --
                > Lady Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
                > katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
                > Caldrithig, Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere
                > "The rose is red, the leaves are grene, God save Elizabeth our Queene"

              • Cindy
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002

                  I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                  children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                  some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                  there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                  younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                  last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                  so I don't know how much space we will have.

                  Adelheid
                • Dianne and Greg Stucki
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                    That's the one I learned, too. Really rather gruesome, isn't it?

                    Laurensa

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                      I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at events.
                      I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could participate!

                      Laurensa
                      > > To generalize, if you're looking for earlier period, northern
                      > > European masks,
                      > > you're looking at masks made of fabric, fur or felt, and
                      > > usually an animal or
                      > > monster face. If you're looking at later period, southern
                      > > European, you're
                      > > looking at paper or molded leather, and more human-looking faces.
                      > >
                      > > Let me know if I can be more help,
                      > > Rose
                      > >

                      > > Quoting Talia Margherita <khanson@...>:
                      > >
                      > > > I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if
                      > > papier-mache is
                      > > > a documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.
                      > > >
                      > > > Talia
                      > > >

                      > I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                      > children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                      > some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                      > there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                      > younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                      > last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                      > so I don't know how much space we will have.
                      >
                      > Adelheid

                    • Kirrily Robert
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                        In lists.sca.authentic.authentic-sca, you wrote:
                        > Katherine, I said that the words I learned were different but the TUNE I
                        > learned was almost the same.
                        >
                        > Those are in fact the same words I learned in school.

                        Uh, they don't fit together as I read it... but perhaps I'm just being
                        thick. Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
                        we?

                        Yours,

                        Katherine

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                          You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
                          have a whole lot of room.

                          I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
                          mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
                          little bottles of Elmers Glue. You could try doing papier mache or plaster
                          bandage, but they're both messy and there'd be no guarantee the masks would be
                          dry and wearable by evening.

                          We did this as an all-day workshop at kingdom A&S this summer, and just charged
                          everybody $2 to come in and make up their own mask. It was such a hit, that we
                          were cutting extra mask blanks out of paper plates just to have enough to go
                          around.

                          I have also found some references to period masks made of buckram, but so far I
                          haven't had good results when I've tried it. More experimentation is required.

                          Rose

                          Quoting Cindy <crma@...>:
                          > I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                          > children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                          > some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                          > there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                          > younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                          > last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                          > so I don't know how much space we will have.
                          >
                          > Adelheid

                          -=-=-=-

                          food. shelter. clothing. net. Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc
                        • Jenn Ridley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                            On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:02:28 -0700, rose@... wrote:

                            >You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
                            >have a whole lot of room.
                            >
                            >I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
                            >mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
                            >little bottles of Elmers Glue.

                            If you're going to use the plastic mask blanks, don't use Elmer's.
                            Use a craft glue (JoAnn's makes one, Aleene's Tacky glue is another).
                            Elmer's is fine for paper, but it doesn't have enough tack to *hold*
                            things onto a plastic mask....

                            jenn
                            --
                            Jenn Ridley
                            jridley@...
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Kirrily Robert <skud@i...> wrote:
                              > Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
                              > we?

                              Just wanted to mention that the modern tune for "Three Blind Mice"
                              was used as theme music for the Three Stooges. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

                              Jehanne
                            • borderlands15213
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                Laurensa,
                                Hasn't your kingdom, which for some reason sticks in my mind as being
                                East (sorry if I've got that wrong!), a Children's Ministry? Your
                                Kingdom Minister of Children should be able to give you some info, or
                                refer you to your regional minister, no?
                                I vaguely, dimly recall a request being made at local meetings for
                                gentles to contribute shoe boxes, which were to be used as bricks or
                                stones to make a castle or fort (to my local MoC: ***really*** sorry
                                if I'm misremembering!! Forgive me!) during one event. Mmm, think
                                they had to be painted, or covered in paper or something. I more
                                clearly recall working with children at one demo, where they were
                                able to make hand puppets or small dolls, dressing them (very, very
                                approximately, believe me, usually gluing the pieces of "clothing" on
                                with Elmer's *school* glue or a fabric glue) in more or less 'period'
                                styles. One young lady did me the honor of dressing her little
                                poppet in her interpretation of my garb. Sorry I can't recall how
                                the heads were made, but I seem to remember they were just a piece of
                                cloth stuffed with fabric scraps and tied off, wrapping the cord to
                                make a neck.
                                I very clearly recall being at Red Dragon, an annual event in
                                Tirnewydd here in the Middle, when the children made a dragon, like
                                the Chinese dragons seen at Chinese New Year's celebrations. This
                                dragon was red, of course, and the kids got under its body and
                                paraded it all around the site, with drums and cymbals going
                                before.... I hope they had fun with it, because it was great for the
                                adults who were watching!
                                I know our own local Minister of Children is on list, and I'm
                                guessing isn't the only MoC here, so perhaps one of those individuals
                                who has had lots of good experiences in planning and directing
                                Children's Activities, will be kind enough to share some suggestions,
                                especially more meritorious ones....

                                Yseult

                                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Dianne and Greg Stucki" <goofy1@s...>

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                  Oops, sorry! Apologies to the list if the activities recalled aren't
                                  correct for period! But the kids *did* seem to have had a good time
                                  from what I could see.

                                  wrote:
                                  > I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at
                                  events.
                                  > I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could
                                  participate!

                                  > Laurensa

                                  <<<snipped original message and earlier replies>>>