Re: [Authentic_SCA] good source for medieval rounds

  • Melaena
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
      Um, no it's not a different tune than we know today, at least not in my
      book.

      The words are slightly different.

      Margareta

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
        You may be the Gentle i'm looking for! Searching for honest to goodness
        Medieval Italian (Venetian) cds. Also some drumming ones. Anything ring a
        bell? Your notes are wonderful, btw. Now i'm sorrier than ever than i
        cannot attend but one 'big' event a year . . . .

        Gerita

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kirrily Robert
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
          In lists.sca.authentic.authentic-sca, you wrote:
          > Um, no it's not a different tune than we know today, at least not in my
          > book.
          >
          > The words are slightly different.

          Here it is in Ravenscroft's Deuteromelia, 1609:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/deuteromelia/deut_20small.gif
          (you have to scroll down a bit to get to it)

          It has elements of the same tune, but it's not the same tune, if you
          know what I mean.

          Is that the same version you have?

          Yours,

          Katherine

          katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
        • Greg Lindahl
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
            On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 07:36:29PM -0500, Melaena wrote:

            > Um, no it's not a different tune than we know today, at least not in my
            > book.

            Margareta,

            I'd be pretty surprised if you actually sing the original tune today.

            You can hear me singing it with myself at:

            http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/songbook/

            -- Gregory Blount
          • Talia Margherita
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
              I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if papier-mache is a documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.

              Talia
            • rose@santiagosmagic.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2002
                It depends on what kind of masks you want to make. Theatrical masks,
                especially for the chorus, were usually made of cardboard or papier mache.
                They had to be produced quickly, cheaply and in bulk. Fabric and felt masks
                were also common.

                Leather masks are more durable, and more difficult to produce. They're not
                disposable, so they wouldn't invest the time and money into making one that
                wasn't going to be worn frequently, i.e., for commedia performances.

                Unfortunately, the big, flashy, sequined and feathered Mardi Gras confections
                don't start showing up until the mid- to late 17th century.

                The problem is you're going to find lots and lots of references to masks in
                theater and ritual, and plenty of laws banning them. In certain times and
                locations, it was illegal to wear a mask around Christmas, because (supposedly)
                the anonymity increased criminal activity. So while you'll be able to find
                mention of masks, there is really very little pictoral evidence to know what
                the masks looked like or how they were made, or even written descriptions.
                Most of the surviving masks from our period are ritual items -- animal totems
                and grotesques. There is one slightly-post period Arlecchino mask still in
                existence.

                To generalize, if you're looking for earlier period, northern European masks,
                you're looking at masks made of fabric, fur or felt, and usually an animal or
                monster face. If you're looking at later period, southern European, you're
                looking at paper or molded leather, and more human-looking faces.

                Let me know if I can be more help,
                Rose

                Quoting Talia Margherita <khanson@...>:

                > I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if papier-mache is a
                > documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Talia

                -=-=-=-

                food. shelter. clothing. net. Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc
              • Melaena
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                  This is exactly the same version I have.

                  Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
                  learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my opinion,
                  constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".

                  Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk music
                  today.

                  Margareta

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                    Hi.......

                    I think you might have me confused with someone else. Hope you find her!

                    Margareta vanden Velde
                    Montengarde, Avacal, An Tir

                    formerly of Roxbury Mill, Atlantia

                    formerly of Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere

                    > You may be the Gentle i'm looking for! Searching for honest to goodness
                    > Medieval Italian (Venetian) cds. Also some drumming ones. Anything ring
                    > bell? Your notes are wonderful, btw. Now i'm sorrier than ever than i
                    > cannot attend but one 'big' event a year . . . .
                    >
                    > Gerita

                  • Kirrily Robert
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                      Margareta wrote:
                      > This is exactly the same version I have.
                      >
                      > Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
                      > learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my opinion,
                      > constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".
                      >
                      > Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk music
                      > today.

                      Wow, really? The one I learnt as a kid went:

                      Three blind mice, three blind mice
                      See how they run, see how they run
                      They all ran up to the farmer's wife
                      She cut off their tails with a carving knife
                      Did you ever see such a thing in your life
                      As three blind mice

                      I think it's really cool that you learnt the older version at school!

                      Yours,

                      Katherine

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                        Katherine, I said that the words I learned were different but the TUNE I
                        learned was almost the same.

                        Those are in fact the same words I learned in school.

                        Margareta

                        > > This is exactly the same version I have.
                        > >
                        > > Except for two or three notes, this is also exactly the same version I
                        > > learned when I was a child. And two or three notes does not, in my
                        opinion,
                        > > constitute a "different tune", to me it is merely a "variation".
                        > >
                        > > Which of course abounded during the Middle Ages and throughout folk
                        music
                        > > today.
                        >
                        > Wow, really? The one I learnt as a kid went:
                        >
                        > Three blind mice, three blind mice
                        > See how they run, see how they run
                        > They all ran up to the farmer's wife
                        > She cut off their tails with a carving knife
                        > Did you ever see such a thing in your life
                        > As three blind mice
                        >
                        > I think it's really cool that you learnt the older version at school!
                        >
                        > Yours,
                        >
                        > Katherine
                        >
                        > --
                        > Lady Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
                        > katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
                        > Caldrithig, Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere
                        > "The rose is red, the leaves are grene, God save Elizabeth our Queene"

                      • Cindy
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002

                          I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                          children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                          some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                          there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                          younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                          last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                          so I don't know how much space we will have.

                          Adelheid
                        • Dianne and Greg Stucki
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                            That's the one I learned, too. Really rather gruesome, isn't it?

                            Laurensa

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                              I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at events.
                              I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could participate!

                              Laurensa
                              > > To generalize, if you're looking for earlier period, northern
                              > > European masks,
                              > > you're looking at masks made of fabric, fur or felt, and
                              > > usually an animal or
                              > > monster face. If you're looking at later period, southern
                              > > European, you're
                              > > looking at paper or molded leather, and more human-looking faces.
                              > >
                              > > Let me know if I can be more help,
                              > > Rose
                              > >

                              > > Quoting Talia Margherita <khanson@...>:
                              > >
                              > > > I wish to make some masques...anyone know offhand if
                              > > papier-mache is
                              > > > a documentable medium in which to do this? Thanks in advance.
                              > > >
                              > > > Talia
                              > > >

                              > I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                              > children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                              > some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                              > there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                              > younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                              > last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                              > so I don't know how much space we will have.
                              >
                              > Adelheid

                            • Kirrily Robert
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                In lists.sca.authentic.authentic-sca, you wrote:
                                > Katherine, I said that the words I learned were different but the TUNE I
                                > learned was almost the same.
                                >
                                > Those are in fact the same words I learned in school.

                                Uh, they don't fit together as I read it... but perhaps I'm just being
                                thick. Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
                                we?

                                Yours,

                                Katherine

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                  You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
                                  have a whole lot of room.

                                  I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
                                  mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
                                  little bottles of Elmers Glue. You could try doing papier mache or plaster
                                  bandage, but they're both messy and there'd be no guarantee the masks would be
                                  dry and wearable by evening.

                                  We did this as an all-day workshop at kingdom A&S this summer, and just charged
                                  everybody $2 to come in and make up their own mask. It was such a hit, that we
                                  were cutting extra mask blanks out of paper plates just to have enough to go
                                  around.

                                  I have also found some references to period masks made of buckram, but so far I
                                  haven't had good results when I've tried it. More experimentation is required.

                                  Rose

                                  Quoting Cindy <crma@...>:
                                  > I'd like more info. Alfred and I have volunteered to have some
                                  > children's activities for the Baroness's Masked Ball in Dec. I'd love
                                  > some references or ideas. I have no idea how many children will be
                                  > there - the ones I do know range from 2.5 - 7 so we're looking at
                                  > younger children. Since it's Baron Wilhelm and Baroness Elizabeth's
                                  > last event as reigning B&B, we figure there will be lots of people there
                                  > so I don't know how much space we will have.
                                  >
                                  > Adelheid

                                  -=-=-=-

                                  food. shelter. clothing. net. Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc
                                • Jenn Ridley
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                    On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:02:28 -0700, rose@... wrote:

                                    >You're going to be in that little school again, I think, so don't expect to
                                    >have a whole lot of room.
                                    >
                                    >I'd recommend hitting the day-after-Halloween sale and buying up bunches of
                                    >mask blanks. You can collect bits of fabric and fur for decorating, and get
                                    >little bottles of Elmers Glue.

                                    If you're going to use the plastic mask blanks, don't use Elmer's.
                                    Use a craft glue (JoAnn's makes one, Aleene's Tacky glue is another).
                                    Elmer's is fine for paper, but it doesn't have enough tack to *hold*
                                    things onto a plastic mask....

                                    jenn
                                    --
                                    Jenn Ridley
                                    jridley@...
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Kirrily Robert <skud@i...> wrote:
                                      > Anyway, we've probably had enough of this thread by now, haven't
                                      > we?

                                      Just wanted to mention that the modern tune for "Three Blind Mice"
                                      was used as theme music for the Three Stooges. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

                                      Jehanne
                                    • borderlands15213
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                        Laurensa,
                                        Hasn't your kingdom, which for some reason sticks in my mind as being
                                        East (sorry if I've got that wrong!), a Children's Ministry? Your
                                        Kingdom Minister of Children should be able to give you some info, or
                                        refer you to your regional minister, no?
                                        I vaguely, dimly recall a request being made at local meetings for
                                        gentles to contribute shoe boxes, which were to be used as bricks or
                                        stones to make a castle or fort (to my local MoC: ***really*** sorry
                                        if I'm misremembering!! Forgive me!) during one event. Mmm, think
                                        they had to be painted, or covered in paper or something. I more
                                        clearly recall working with children at one demo, where they were
                                        able to make hand puppets or small dolls, dressing them (very, very
                                        approximately, believe me, usually gluing the pieces of "clothing" on
                                        with Elmer's *school* glue or a fabric glue) in more or less 'period'
                                        styles. One young lady did me the honor of dressing her little
                                        poppet in her interpretation of my garb. Sorry I can't recall how
                                        the heads were made, but I seem to remember they were just a piece of
                                        cloth stuffed with fabric scraps and tied off, wrapping the cord to
                                        make a neck.
                                        I very clearly recall being at Red Dragon, an annual event in
                                        Tirnewydd here in the Middle, when the children made a dragon, like
                                        the Chinese dragons seen at Chinese New Year's celebrations. This
                                        dragon was red, of course, and the kids got under its body and
                                        paraded it all around the site, with drums and cymbals going
                                        before.... I hope they had fun with it, because it was great for the
                                        adults who were watching!
                                        I know our own local Minister of Children is on list, and I'm
                                        guessing isn't the only MoC here, so perhaps one of those individuals
                                        who has had lots of good experiences in planning and directing
                                        Children's Activities, will be kind enough to share some suggestions,
                                        especially more meritorious ones....

                                        Yseult

                                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Dianne and Greg Stucki" <goofy1@s...>

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 2, 2002
                                          Oops, sorry! Apologies to the list if the activities recalled aren't
                                          correct for period! But the kids *did* seem to have had a good time
                                          from what I could see.

                                          wrote:
                                          > I'd love ANY infor on activities to do with the very young kids at
                                          events.
                                          > I'd gladly help run children's activities, just so my own could
                                          participate!

                                          > Laurensa

                                          <<<snipped original message and earlier replies>>>