Re: [Authentic_SCA] ME Card Weaving, was period tapestry looms?

  • Violante01@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:06:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, lilinah@... writes:

      > Do you have any sources on "Medieval Middle Eastern" card weaving? I
      > can find plenty of info in period card weaving elsewhere, and on 19th
      > and 20th c. Near Eastern card weaving. But while i'm rather convinced
      > they did it in the Near East, i haven't been able to fine solid
      > evidence.
      >
      > I've got the cards, i've got the inkle loom... now, i just
      > need the
      > documentation... and some actual patterns...

      No, I'm not keeping up with my email very well... *blush* IIRC, Nancy Spies has a few Middle Eastern examples in _Aristocratic Pomp and Ecclesiastic Circumstance_. I'll check when I get home tonight.

      Cheers,
      Violante
    • Violante01@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
        In a message dated Tue, 1 Oct 2002 1:39:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, Violante01 writes:

        > No, I'm not keeping up with my email very well... *blush* IIRC, Nancy Spies has a few Middle Eastern examples in _Aristocratic Pomp and Ecclesiastic Circumstance_. I'll check
        > when I get home tonight.

        Doh. That's _Ecclesiatic Pomp and Aristocratic Circumstance_. Right words, wrong order! Anyway, a cursory glance last night revealed that she's got Spanish (and likely Moorish) examples and patterns, but nothing else that you would consider "Middle Eastern". Peter Collingwood, in _Techniques of Tabalet Weaving_ has the occasional reference to Middle Eastern equipment or techniques, but they aren't necessarily period. If you turn up something else in your research, please be sure to share!

        Cheers,
        Violante