Re: Looking for Burgundian...

  • Vaire Meondur
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
      > Okay, I am looking for any information I can find on 'Burgundian'
      dress.
      > I'm not entirely sure what period and place (well, I have a guess,
      but
      > want to find some good info) I should be looking at. Any books and
      other
      > resources?
      >
      > I have a person who is interested, so I figure I will try to find
      out
      > before next Garb Night so that I can be of some help.
      >
      > -Ii

      Greetings!

      http://www.kb.dk/elib/mss/mdr/gks1612/002u-en.htm shows a typical
      Burgundian style.

      http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1468_claricedegasconne.jpg shows
      a high court style.

      Burgundian style was worn in North-Western Europe from about 1450-
      1490. It was started by a certain Duchess of Burgundy. (My books are
      at home, I'll look up the name tonight.) From Burgundy it spread all
      over the North-Western Europe including Scandinavia and England. The
      best pictorial sources for the style are illuminated manuscripts and
      Netherlandish paintings from the period.

      The best source on construction on the web is:
      http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/BurgundianCostume.pdf

      A late (1480's) variation of the style:
      http://members.aol.com/noramunro/Wardrobe/burgundy.htm

      Megge of Caerleon's Burgundian. An earlier (1450's) style:
      http://www.antir.com/meghan/burgundian.html

      Also go to Web Gallery of Art
      http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/index.html and do searches on timeline 1401-
      1450 and 1451-1500 and Flemish school. That gives you the whole
      development of the style.

      J.P. Getty Museum
      http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/collection_types/c220.html has
      some good images from manuscripts.

      The Royal Library in Copenhagen
      http://www.kb.dk/elib/mss/mdr/index-en.htm has also some good stuff.

      The National Library of the Netherlands is an absolute treasure
      trove:
      http://www.kb.nl/kb/manuscripts/search/index.html

      The Yahoo group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/15thCenturyEurope/ has lots of good
      pictures of style variations in Photos.

      I've put a couple of pictures of my 1470's dress to this group's
      Photos, Anneke's directory. If you have any questions about the
      construction of the style (or any questions about the style) I'll do
      my best to answer them.

      HTH

      Anneke Lyffland, a 15th century girl
      -~*~-
      Life's a journey - not a destination. Amazing, Aerosmith
    • Vaire Meondur
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Vaire Meondur" <Anneke@C...> wrote:
        > Burgundian style was worn in North-Western Europe from about 1450-
        > 1490. It was started by a certain Duchess of Burgundy. (My books
        are
        > at home, I'll look up the name tonight.)

        Philip the Good and Isabella of Portugal, Duke and Duchess of
        Burgundy were the ones.

        Anneke Lyffland
        -~*~-
        Life's a journey - not a destination. Amazing, Aerosmith